Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

help-- stop the forearm slap

Old 01-20-2007, 08:43 AM

Default RE: help-- stop the forearm slap

http://www.obsessionarchery.com/sts-shock-terminator-suppressor-p-698.html

The STS is a string supressor that mounts on your stabilizer hole and wraps around toward the string. I couldn't find the manufacturer's website because well...I'm not sure who that is...but the above link will explain it anyway.

The theory with the STS and arm slap goes as follows.....The STS stops the string at the bows brace height, not farther. People get the arm slap from the string going BEYOND brace height. We've not seen this actually work to stop arm slap at the shop, though I don't discredit it's validity.

The open stance, grip, and proper draw length are the 3 most reliable cures, IMHO. The STS is, however, GREAT at making a bow quieter.
Old 01-20-2007, 08:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for being there Mobow!! its appreciated.
Dan
Old 01-20-2007, 02:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GForce

Oh!!! Had to grab my bow and try moving the position of my grip, forearm, etc. to see the relationship while at full draw.

My youngest daughter had some trouble with string sting when she first started shooting her Parker Buckshot. Her arm actually hyper-extends at the elbow when holding her arm straight. We tried shortening her draw length, maybe we should work on adjusting her grip instead.

THANKS TFOX

You will see this with alot of girls.Just like the girls seem to be left eye dominant and right handed more than boys.

She is most likely locking the elbow if she is hyperextending it.I don't promote locking the elbow but some coachesdo.I am not a certified coach but have been coached by a level 4 coach.If you look at recurve shooters,alot of them lock their elbows but a recurve is different than a compound.Just a tad bit letoff.

There is also a chance the draw length is too long.

I can hit my arm with bows that are way too short on draw if I don't turn my wrist properly,and I can shoot bows that are too long on draw with no problems when my arm is right.My bow is actually pulling 28 3/4" right now,which is a 1/4" too long but I am having no trouble shooting it with my hunting clothes on but I also use an STS.I shoot better with a little bit longer draw than I do with a draw that is a little too short.It cuts down on lefts and rights.I am a little backwards of normal.I am getting ready to twist a little to get my draw back into my specs.It just feels better and I do shoot better at 28 1/2"

We tend to want a little shorter draw when hunting because of clothing and shot situations.The picture is of TARGET form and shortening up a little is probably considered "correct" for hunting.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:08 PM
Typical Buck

After a number of viewings of the photos you posted, I could finally see them. Something weird must have been going on with my PC when I firstopenedyourearlier post to thethread.

Jen isright-eye dominant ( verified before starting to shoot .22's years ago) and right-handed. After watching her form duringarchery practice, she goes through a ritual following the draw. She acquires the target, takes the time to place the sight pin on the bullseye and Iwatch her adjust her bow arm into aposition that does not involve shifting her elbow,but indeed moves her forearm away from harms way as far as the string is concerned. I think we got her draw length down, and I believe she is naturallyadjusting her grip position in the process. In doing so, she has not since gotten bit by the string. Her accuracy is amazing out to twenty yards.

Form, grip and draw lengthall=the equation in this instance.