Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

help-- stop the forearm slap

Old 01-19-2007, 07:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: help-- stop the forearm slap

keep your lifeline (The one by the thumb) perpendicular to the ground

Try to get your first two knuckles as close to paralell with the ground as possible

dont lock your elbow and turn it out not down

If you dont have a bow sling get one

If you cant keep a good anchor in that position then your draw length may be too long

Windwalkers pics are excellent

Old 01-19-2007, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Gripping the bow in this manner causes the elbow to bend outward.

Even if you just draw back your bow in this way, you will see your elbow go out. I use to have a big problem with this many, many years ago. I was at a proshop looking at armgaurds when the owner showed me this way to grip.

He lost a sale that day but helped me overcome my problem.

Too long a draw length will also cause forearm slap but even with proper draw length,a bow gripped the wrong way will cause slap.

I've showed this to quite a few guys that had problems. Today, they don't wear their armguards anymore.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: gzg38b

Ben Pearson solved this problem with their biogrip bows. The grip is angled at 20 degrees which keeps your forearm out of the path of the string. It's the most comfortable way to hold a bow, but it's only available on Ben Pearson bows. Take a look at the Pearson Pride, for example...

Or you could just get an STS.

I like to shoot with my bow arm straight. I'm more stable that way, and I get more speed due to the increased draw length. I use an STS and it eliminates all forearm slap, even with a heavy coat.

This is actually what you need to be trying to accomplish.The FOREARM is what needs to be turned out NOT THE ELBOW.This will create space.Your draw length,may or may not be too long.It always amazes me that people make draw length assumptions and have never even seen a picture.If you lean back or hit your arm,people start screaming draw length.It is form more often and not draw length.

Check out this picture,most on here will say his draw length is too long.His elbow is not turned out but his forearm is turned outward but not out.He is a level 3 coach and has about 7 national championships to his name.I quess his elbow is too high too.

Old 01-19-2007, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Cougars09

gzg i really like the looks of that bow whats the price and specs on it
It's called the Pearson "Pride". It retails for $609 but you can pick them up much cheaper than that. Last week a new one sold on ebay for $280. It has great specs -

32.5" a to a
7.75" brace
4.2#
Bio Grip
Vib X
Vapor Trail Strings and cables
Solid limbs
312 ibo
Lifetime Warranty.

If you haven't shot a Pearson bow, you don't know what your missing. They are extemely quiet and shock free. Thebiogrip is like heaven. It just feelsso much more natural than trying to force yourforearm and elbowout of the way.www.benpearson.com

Pearson also makes a Limited Run version of the exact same bow called the Python. It's a non-catalog bow that is for dealers only. Everything is identical to the Pride - riser, cams, string, except the name and it doesn't come with the Bowjax. Go over to Archerytalk.com and type in "Pearson Python" into the search function. You buy it from Monofletch for $385. He sells tons of Pearson's over there and everybody loves their bows. His partner also sells the Limited Edition Pearson's on ebay. His name is "Bubbabuck". These bows come with a Lifetime Warranty from Pearson.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:04 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: TFOX

ORIGINAL: gzg38b

I like to shoot with my bow arm straight. I'm more stable that way, and I get more speed due to the increased draw length. I use an STS and it eliminates all forearm slap, even with a heavy coat.

This is actually what you need to be trying to accomplish.The FOREARM is what needs to be turned out NOT THE ELBOW.This will create space.Your draw length,may or may not be too long.It always amazes me that people make draw length assumptions and have never even seen a picture.If you lean back or hit your arm,people start screaming draw length.It is form more often and not draw length.

Check out this picture,most on here will say his draw length is too long.His elbow is not turned out but his forearm is turned outward but not out.He is a level 3 coach and has about 7 national championships to his name.I quess his elbow is too high too.

I cannot see the pictures, but please explain to me how you can rotate your arm so as to move your forearm away from the bow without also moving your elbow in the same direction.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

gforce,it isn't hard.look at the muscleabove his elbow.It is pointed up.If you turn your elbow out,it will be pointed in,toward the bow.

Turning the forearm out is done with the wrist.When you turn your wrist parralel(or close to)to the ground,you will see this muscle tighten up but the elbow will not move.This turns the forearm out but not the elbow.If you are trying to turn your elbow,you are creating angles instead of bone to bone contact.Too many angles in your form is HARD to repeat and takes MUCH practice to repeat.When you get proper bone to bone alignment and the fewest amount of angles possible,the form is EASY to repeat.

Try it a few times and you will see what I am talking about,I HOPE.The internet is hard to explain these kinds of things but if you copy the picture,you will be there.The only possible issue might be that you could hit clothingwhilehunting.Some will say to shorten the draw length and bend the elbow,This will create space and it will help but it is a bandaid fix.Proper form will also eliminate the slap.Bending the elbow is fine,(especially for hunting)as long as your are not turning the elbow out away from the string.Do this (turning elbow out)and you will see an angle that I speak of above.The arm will go out and then back in.It should have a straight line to the shoulder.

Hope this helps and doesn't confuse.[8D]
Old 01-20-2007, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Try this guys!

Hold your bow arm straight out.

Make a fist.

NOW! Make sure your knuckles are straight up and down.

NOW! Make your knuckles horizontal.

Notice what your elbow does.

It's all in how you grip the bow.
Old 01-20-2007, 08:03 AM
Typical Buck

Oh!!! Had to grab my bow and try moving the position of my grip, forearm, etc. to see the relationship while at full draw.

My youngest daughter had some trouble with string sting when she first started shooting her Parker Buckshot. Her arm actually hyper-extends at the elbow when holding her arm straight. We tried shortening her draw length, maybe we should work on adjusting her grip instead.

THANKS TFOX
Old 01-20-2007, 08:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Unbelivable responses, this is why i love this site, great info and even pics, you guys are great, I was draw length measured at the pro shop but i realize that does not mean its right. couple more questions.1.- my bow says it is a 29 " draw, if my draw length is to long, can it be shortened with cam adjustments? 2.- I keep hearing about an STS, what is that? I will experiment with some of these suggestions, the pics are great!! Heck, Tfox even offered to meet up sometime and try to resolve this, WOW!! I will try some of the different ways to grip and play with the arm rotation a bit. Davidmill, dont hold back bud, i wont get mad, im a big boy i can take it[8D]I will let you guys know what i come up with.
Dan
Old 01-20-2007, 08:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Guys if i posted pics of myself shooting, i would fear Germ would think im good looking and would want to cuddle.[8D][8D]
Dan
ORIGINAL: BOWTECHBO

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

Are you sure you're shooting with your correct draw length and not just whats comfortable?

More often than not people shooting with a draw length that is longer than it should be get slapped by their string.
Blood post a pic of your form...WH is on the right track...you may be shooting too long a draw.

Bo

Quick Reply: help-- stop the forearm slap

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.