Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scouting terms and definitions......

Old 01-18-2007, 10:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Scouting terms and definitions......

These are the terms we most often use when talking whitetail scouting strategies. These are (I stress) my definitions of these terms and I realize they may have slightly different meanings in different parts of the country. However, if any of you were confused by what some of these terms mean hopefully this will give you a better understanding of them.[/align][/align]Please add any that I have left out.[/align][/align]
Odocoileus Virginianns The scientific name for the Whitetail.[/align][/align]Bachelor group Bucks during the spring, summer and into the early fall will bed, feed, travel and socialize together in a group.[/align][/align]Breakline /Inside edgeAn area where two or more different types of cover meet such as a cut outbordering mature timber. A lot of times these breaklines occur on property boundaries.[/align][/align]ThicketIs a dense growth of trees and vegetation often used as bedding cover.[/align][/align]Signpost A large rub or scrape that is visual as well as marked with scent, most often used by multiple deer.[/align][/align]Funnel / Bottle neckA terrain feature that forces deer through a narrow corridor, much like the center of an hour glass.[/align][/align]Draw A shallow bottom that is not as deep or steep as a ravine bottom.[/align][/align]Hedgerow A row of trees, shrubs or vegetation separating fields.[/align][/align]Inside corner A field corner that is surrounded by woods on both sides.[/align][/align]Outside corner A corner of woods that is surrounded byfields on both sides.[/align][/align]Rub line A series of rubs often connecting a bucks bedding area to his food sources during the early season.[/align][/align]SaddleA terrain feature joining two or more ridges together that sits at a lower elevation than the ridge tops.[/align][/align]Ridge A large and most often mountainous elongated elevation in the landscape.[/align][/align]Ravine A deep and steep sided valley in the landscape often cut by running water.[/align][/align]Hollow A low spot or depression in the landscape.[/align][/align]Bench / Shelf An area of level ground on the side of a ridge or large hill.[/align][/align]Gully A low spot in the landscape that is usually a run off for flood waters.[/align][/align]Cut out / Cut over An area that has been logged of the trees ofvalue.[/align][/align]Coulee A small or shallow ravine.[/align][/align]Select cut An area that has been logged of trees of interest based on factors such age or species.[/align][/align]Staging area A place within the timber orvegetation where deer will hold waiting for night fall to enter open feeding areas.[/align][/align]Slough A wet and muddy area much like a swamp or muddy river inlet.[/align][/align]Primary scrape A scrape located in a high deer traffic area, often used by two or more bucks. [/align][/align]CRP Fields of native grasses planted by farmers, most often sponsored by the state.[/align][/align]Mast Nuts such as acorns and hickory.[/align][/align]Browse The shoots, twigs and leaves that make up a deer's diet, not including agriculture. [/align][/align]HighwallA cliff often cut from strip mining operations.[/align][/align]
Old 01-18-2007, 10:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Scouting terms and definitions......

Great list, buckeye...

What about the term "hogbacks" I'veseen the Drury boys use in Giant Whitetails: A Lifetime of Lessons?
Old 01-18-2007, 11:00 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: buckeyebuckhntr

[/align]Mast Nuts such as acorns and hickory.
[/align]
[/align]
Huh??!! I thought this mean't how big them horns was![:-]
Old 01-18-2007, 11:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good post Buckeye!
Old 01-19-2007, 05:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Jaggers...mostly northern term for Briars, blackberry patches, and other prickily stuff

Crick ... Pa term for a small running stream..generally smaller than a creek

Flatlander.. another Pa term.. for anyone west of the Pa/Ohio line. Usually used in Bars by residents who have not taken a buck this season. ("Damn flatlanders shot up all the bucks")
Old 01-19-2007, 06:18 AM

Clump o Grass=A little spot of vegitation just large enough to secure a mature whitetail as he sleeps his day away.

Brown Field/Brush Field=Favored area of whitetail,too badwe can't see them all.

Aw Naw=The point inside briar patches that require extreme navigation and sometimes backtracking.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

His Kitchen- I use to describe a mature's buck sanctuary, this is where he makes Primary Scrape and some rubs.

Nice work Buckeye!!
Old 01-19-2007, 11:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Great list, buckeye...

What about the term "hogbacks" I'veseen the Drury boys use in Giant Whitetails: A Lifetime of Lessons?

This is a term I have never used..... I haven't saw the video either to understand their reference..... What does it mean Greg?

If I had to guess.... I would think it is an area of higher dry ground within a swamp??
[/align]
Old 01-19-2007, 11:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hogbacks
Hogbacks get their name because they look like the topside of a razor back hog (see picture on main page). When rocks are uplifted by mountain building processes, erosion of the softer, less resistant rock occurs leaving a ridge of the more resistant rock. At one time this area was flat, then uplifting occurred. From the picture above you can see how one side of the ridge is older then the other because of the laws of original horizontality and superposition.
Back
Old 01-19-2007, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice list Buckeye, good post again. Helpful as usual. What else should we expect from you right? Heck I dont even try posting a thread anymore, I just look for yours

Scouting terms: to add

Licking branches, core area, yarding, backtracking, tracking, shed hunting, sheds, slope, drainage, southern/northern face, finger-ridge, bench, structure, thicket, bluff, gorge, spillway, fencerow, skid trail, community scrape, breeding grounds, birthing grounds, doe family groups, secondary trails, thermals, wintering grounds, slash, clearcut, plantation, orchard,seasonal feed and water sources...too much to list and to lazy to define right now ...

Quick Reply: Scouting terms and definitions......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.