Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scouting terms and definitions......

Old 01-19-2007, 11:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Scouting terms and definitions......

Nice list Buckeye, good post again. Helpful as usual. What else should we expect from you right? Heck I dont even try posting a thread anymore, I just look for yours
Thanks!

Scouting terms: to add

Licking branches, core area, yarding, backtracking, tracking, shed hunting, sheds, slope, drainage, southern/northern face, finger-ridge, bench, structure, thicket, bluff, gorge, spillway, fencerow, skid trail, community scrape, breeding grounds, birthing grounds, doe family groups, secondary trails, thermals, wintering grounds, slash, clearcut, plantation, orchard,seasonal feed and water sources...too much to list and to lazy to define right now ...
LOL.... If we define all of these as well we will have the "Websters" scouting dictionary! Since you are the guru of the mountain whities are you going to define your most often used terms for your country?
Old 01-19-2007, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey buckeye, guru, I dont think so, simply by default since the majority of the guys on here are midwestern or eastern whitetail bowhunters. I would love to hear from morebig-woods bowhunters though. Whitetails are whitetails and much of our info overlaps while some doesnt apply as much. I always enjoy hearing from TJF on here as well since he hunts such a different habitat than most of us. My fascination with whitetails and the diverse habitats they subsist in keeps me motivated to learn everything I can from you all. The cool thing is ...we all have whities of somesubspecies to hunt.

Definitions..geesh you are going to make me show my work... You sound like a teacher!
Old 01-19-2007, 01:29 PM
Dominant Buck

I'm finding this stuff fascinating. keep it coming, guys.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:46 PM

One I hear down here a lot is bigolsomebeach.

It usually goes like this....... "Did ya'll see that bigolsomebeach?"
Old 01-19-2007, 02:13 PM

Thanks for sharing those. Those are really helpful!
Old 01-19-2007, 07:02 PM

Scott, you know better than to try and pull this off without the help of visual aids........[&:]

Nice work my friend.

Draw: An isolated,narrow stip of woods located in a field.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:46 PM

Hey Guys,
Don't know whose ideal this post was but thanks much!!!!

BTS
Old 01-20-2007, 11:57 AM
Spike

Thanks for taking the time to share it with us. Mark
Old 01-20-2007, 03:30 PM

Mineral licks- torn up patch in the ground that deer and elk use for minerals.

dugout- man made dug out peice of land that holds water. Depth ranges. Usually abotu 20x 60 yards or so. These are often found near farms or may be abandoned in old farm sites in the woods. Critters will water here.

River flat- area surrounding the river. Marchy flooded, willowy junk, cattails, etc. Rude stuff the big boys love to hide in

Run- depression in the land that runs along for some distance often elk and deer utalize these to stay hidden while in the fields as well as the forest.

Fence/tree line- peice that seperates one field from another.

Beaver dams- dams built by beavers that hold water back as well as create a convient crossing for animals.

Beaver Flood- water that has been held back and causing flooding to some areas. This may change deer patterns causing them to funnel to one side or could block you from your stand if a big rain comes. (had it happen b4)
Old 01-20-2007, 04:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

buckeye, that is a great list. The only thing i can add is,the area i live in is full of old strip mine ground from way back, we have what some call spoil banks. these are long rows of dirt side by side that was left from the old way of digging coal that, now have mature woods growing in them. and strip pits these are water holes left over from the old mining operations. combine the strip pits, spoil banks and flat woods and you have some pretty nice hunting ground.
Dan

Quick Reply: Scouting terms and definitions......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.