Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How I read a Topo/Sat. Map

Old 01-18-2007, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How I read a Topo/Sat. Map

I would have picked a stand just to the north of your spot, somewhere in the middle of the next yellow line. Great post! This is a topic that we could discuss forever and still learn something.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:26 PM
Fork Horn

Great read Germ thanks a lot for the post. I wish i could add some insight but i'm still fairly new to this.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

thanks for this post, it actually helped me be able to read sat maps better! Glad I checked it out! Thanks.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:07 PM
Dominant Buck

Learning to read a True Topo map for scouting purposes is a much better method if you haven't been there. It's easy to read an airial photo once you've been on the ground, but I think they're pretty useless as far as seeing terrain features and changes. And once you've walked the ground, the photos are not that important except for showing someone where you'll be etc. Even vegetation is tough to read from so far up. I really prefer a true TOPO. They're all just starting points for actual ground travel, but going in cold I'd feel a whole lot better with a topo than a photo.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:47 PM
Typical Buck

You know Germ, maybe you could set up a ground blind where therearen't any trees. Just an idea. I have an Ameristep dog house blindthat works very well for me.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Oh don't you worry friend, Germ will get it handled, he will definantly..... pause 1 2 3 4 get it handled.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Great post, Germ... Definitely the kind that adds value to a bowhunting forum for a lot of people.

I've come to find the same think Davidmil alluded to so far, to an extent... Though these aerial maps have given me ideas of where to look first. There's a couple spots that attract my attention on this property: Slightly to the right and north of your blue dot, at the northern-most tip of that field to the east of your stand. I've just seen a lot of deer approach fields like this from "points" like that... I could also see a buck accessing that fencerow during the rut, especially at dusk.

Secondly, all the way up to the north just to the right of where your north/south red line and your east/west yellow line intersect. Perfect pinch-point and/or funnel, with great access via your boat and trolling motor.