Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Turkey Hunt Question

Old 01-18-2007, 08:45 AM

Default Turkey Hunt Question

As many of you know I've had a 27 year absense from the sport and I need all the help I can get. Sorry!!! My question is that I'm planning on turkey hunting this spring but am unsure of what to tip my arrows with. Do I use conventionalbroadheads or something else. Thanks.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:47 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Turkey Hunt Question

Disclaimer: I've never even shot AT a turkey with my bow.

I'll be using mechanicals....and turning my bow down to about 60#'s.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:58 AM
Typical Buck

I shot one this fall with a 3 blade broadhead. It did the trick and pretty quickly also. I believe they make broadheads for turkey hunting but I just stick with the standard. Just about anything should work. I use mechanicals for whitetail but I am not sure I would use them on a turkey.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use an 85 grain Wasp Hammer and shoot them in the vitals. The problem with that is you do lose some meat. They, I don't know whothey are specifically,do make some "guillotine" braodhead that has like a 2.5" diameter or something for head shooting them. Would be less mess that way.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:21 AM

ORIGINAL: scotty51
As many of you know I've had a 27 year absense from the sport and I need all the help I can get. Sorry!!! My question is that I'm planning on turkey hunting this spring but am unsure of what to tip my arrows with. Do I use conventionalbroadheads or something else. Thanks.
Gobbler Getter broadheads are amazing, or at least so I have heard. They have a dull point, which shocks the bird, then the blades deploy, and tear that bird all up.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:36 AM

you could use the gobbler guillotines, but won't have much room for error
Old 01-18-2007, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

We have used the gobbler guillotines, with the 4" cut, BUT be forewarned, you will need longer arrows for these broadheads, to insure that the blades don't come in contact with your sights. I haven't found a way yet to practice with them without ruining the blades. And we have found that the broadheads are noisy in flight also, maybe that doesnt' matter, but they don't seem to be good for any distance past about 25 yards, and you MUST shoot the turkey in the head or neck with them. ABSOLUTELY NO BODY SHOTS!
I actually prefer a good 1.5" or 2" mech. head for body shots. You want all the cut you can get, and if the arrow stays in the turkey, that's not a bad thing at all. I don't turn my poundage down on my bow. Some do, some don't.
Plan on using a blind, especially if using your bow to hunt. And set your decoys up no more than 15 yards from the blind, 10 yards is better!

Old 01-18-2007, 09:46 AM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Disclaimer: I've never even shot AT a turkey with my bow.

I'll be using mechanicals....and turning my bow down to about 60#'s.
Im like you, I have some eastman outfitters mechanicals that open to about 2" diam. I have asked for advice on what size is good and with turkeys a 2 " head is not to big they say.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:39 AM
Spike

I have shot 15 plus turkeys with my bow. I have used mechanical, fixed blade broadheads and the gobbler guillotine. I have had the most success with the fixed blade. I try to shoot them when they are strutting I aim at the base of the tale. If you hunt with decoys face the decoys towards you because the turkey will almost always come up and face the decoy therfore his backside will be toward you. More times than not when I shoot a turkey like this I hit the heart.
I have had problems with the mechanicals not opening up and with the guillotine you will probably need longer arrows.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:36 PM
Typical Buck

Like others have said, I have harvested more turkeys with archery gear than I can remember, and have always used fixed blade broadheads, the whole key to a clean quick harvest is where you hit them at......

Quick Reply: Turkey Hunt Question

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.