Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

just why!!!!!

Old 02-15-2007, 09:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: just why!!!!!

i think he caught wind of you my friend. JMO
Old 02-15-2007, 09:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

He definately didn't like something,from the video,it looks pretty windy so it could have been noise. Idon't recall his ears twitching around trying to find the source of a sound,he was looking around alot like he was trying to find something.

My bet is he winded you and with the wind swirling,he couldn't tell where it was coming from.One thing is for sure,when he gets older,he won't hang around that long trying to figure it out.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:50 PM

The wind may have been in your favor for the blind, but did you walk in up wind from where the fence spot is and he could have been picking up scent from your boots? My hats off to you kid for not shooting that deer, alot of people out there think that a fence is just walking barrier and will shot over them. I would suggest getting a nice ladder stand and get up off the ground, cause in the beginning he looks right at you.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:55 PM

Also, forgot to add, in the video he is already at the fence standing when you start filming. Could he have seen you getting your camera ready when he first got there and you not know it?
Old 02-16-2007, 07:14 AM

well thanks for the replies but first of all no i dont thinkk he couldve saw me cz my camera was already setup facing there all i did was push the record button

i was thinkin because before i saw him this tiime about a week before me and my uncle saw him and a fawn in the same exact spot except that they crossed the fence and he was still a little weird acting ill try to post the video later but neways i was thinkin maybe he was looking for his friend that fawn and someone killed her and he was just frekin out

and yes i checked the wind and there was swirling winds so he couldve got a scent on me but i was wearing coverscent and scent killer but thats not always 100% so that is a possibility
Old 02-16-2007, 08:50 AM
Fork Horn

OK I wrote before I watched the movie. He definately caught wind of you or of where you walked approaching your stand. You can also tell he was suspicious of the blind, cause as soon as he sensed something wrong, he looked directly at your position. I would try hunting with a different setup and certainly in a diffent postion than this encounter.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:58 AM
Dominant Buck

This time of year about the only thing on it's mind is food, try simmering a small pot of clover near the middle of your 20 acres and post yourself on the way to it good and high. The smell of the clover should draw him right in.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:38 AM
Fork Horn

if he is a smart as he sounds, at that young of age..he may just make it to be a dandy.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:00 AM
Site Bouncer

There is no doubt in my mind, he winded you. You can see by his body posture and his movements that he knows "something is not right" He is not quite sure what it is but he knows something is wrong.

This is a great video thanks for sharing! This is a classic example of how a young immature deer reacts to something "not right" in his surroundings. You can see he is uneasy yet not sure of what the problem is. At one point he looks right in your direction. His instincts tell him to move on and he does but way slower than an older deer would have.

I agree with those who wrote that you won't see this type of reaction out of older more mature deer. They tend to stop dead in their tracks. They will remain dead still locked on to your position, maybe a stomp or a snort but they will bolt at the slightest whim.

Great video and good learing tool.
Old 02-17-2007, 03:29 PM

well thanks again and i did change my setup about 20 yds away and i was just wonderin if you cut branches that if the deer can smell it or what ?