Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunters saftey system.... Smells bad... Give me some help guys.

Old 01-17-2007, 06:34 PM
dws

Default RE: Hunters saftey system.... Smells bad... Give me some help guys.

I had a cooler that smelled realy bad on the inside. Someone told me to stuff it full of crumbled up newspaper for a couple of weeks. Sounds odd but it worked on that.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:47 PM

I don't know if you get Field and Stream magazine, but in one they told you how to make a homeade scent killer spray. You could soak it in that for a couple weeks. Try searching it on http://fieldandstream.com.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

it hads to be the container i have the smae vest and scent killer took out any of the new smell
Old 01-17-2007, 08:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Wash it with some scent killer soap. Air dry it outdoors. When it dries spray down to the point it's wet with some scent killer. Double check that rubbemaid container you store it in. Many times they can stink worse than anything. Plastics do give off an odor. Some more than others. If you're using a prusic rope or something that could be your stink too if it's new. I didn't see your last post before I posted this. From what you describe, I bet it's the container.
This is a container I have used for a couple years. It looks like the camo pattern on the vest is silk screened onto the fabric. I am 100% certain that this is what is causeing the odor. It is only the vest part that smells. None of straps or buckles have an odor that I can detect.

For those suggesting that I soak it for a couple days. I first soaked it in Atsko sortwash and water then threw it in the dryer. This did nothing to get rid of the smell. I then soaked it in dead down wind for a couple days and then hung it on my back porch. Didn't seem to do much to eliminate the odor either.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Scott - how about soaking it in baking soda and water for a couple of days?
OR
You can make a very good paste using the baking soda and just a touch of water or store bought peroxide - brush it into the fabric and let it set. After a day or two run it through the wash.

If baking soda won't work then nothing will.

I would not soak your vest in scent killer as the peroxide in that stuff could bleach the vest out dramatically.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Scott - how about soaking it in baking soda and water for a couple of days?
OR
You can make a very good paste using the baking soda and just a touch of water or store bought peroxide - brush it into the fabric and let it set. After a day or two run it through the wash.

If baking soda won't work then nothing will.
Mike,

I never thought about baking soda...... That sounds like a great idea.

I'm on it
Old 01-17-2007, 08:53 PM

Scott, if that pattern was indeed silk screened on the mesh, most of those inks are UV cured....I know you said you've kept it outside, but have you let it hang in the sun a couple of days......Maybe curing that ink a little more would help.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Scott, if that pattern was indeed silk screened on the mesh, most of those inks are UV cured....I know you said you've kept it outside, but have you let it hang in the sun a couple of days......Maybe curing that ink a little more would help.
My vest isn't mesh but more like cotton. Not sure what the material is as I haven't hadany stand time with it

Im pretty sure it got quite a bit of sun on my porch over the fall and winter up until a couple weeks ago. It isn't an enclosed porch and I had it hanging near the end of a rafter.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Did the baking soda work for you Scott?
Old 01-26-2007, 07:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Mine doesn't have the odor..here is your fix <flames coming I'm sure>

Go buy a new one. Save the box..put the old one in the box and return it with your reciept.

Quick Reply: Hunters saftey system.... Smells bad... Give me some help guys.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.