Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

question on bow sight length

Old 01-18-2007, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: question on bow sight length

Theoretically a longer sight plan*could* make it easier to be more accurate but only if the shooter is able to take full advantage of a sight bar that is shorter.

A sight bar can be used for several things. First of all, you can use it to help adjust balance of the bow. You can use it to make the pin guard/scope housing fit the peep sight perfectly. You can use it to adjust so that both the pin and target are clear. If someone has a weird anchor point and peep height you can adjust the sight bar to help get the distance you need out of a bows site. For example, in FITA archery mens classes shoot out to 90 meters. For people that have a nock to peep height of any less than 5" or so it is very difficult to get the arrows fletching to clear the scope housing because of how low the sight has to be adjusted to compensate for this distance. If you bring the sight bar extension in closer to the bow it will move the bows group up to help one get this distance. This is an extreme example but the idea holds true even for hunting sights when people may have a weird anchor point........shorten the sight extension and the group moves up. You can use this if you run out of elevation adjustment on a sight.

One would think a longer sight plane would make you more accurate but I have seen many people at the top level nationaly shooting 90m groups the size of a softball with a sight extension less than 6" in length.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

A longer sight is suppose to make you more accurate. It only makes sense. When you shoot, you are basically lining up three things 1) your eye/anchor, 2) your pin, and 3) the target. The more centered you can get the pin between your anchor and the target, the more accurate it is going to be.

The fine line is that it is harder for some people to shoot with this setup. Even though it is suppose to make you more accurate, it can actually bring you down. Not to mention the nice price tag that comes with them. Like Greg said, I would get the best hunting set up for you and go from there.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:32 AM
Dominant Buck

I understand there comes a point of diminishing results. Granted.

But....If I set a deer up at 50 yds and you had to iron-sight him with a 4" pistol barrell.....a 12" pistol barrell.....or a long rifle......which would you choose...and why?

Also....to take it to the extreme.......imagine you cou;d actually place the ssight pin ON the target. Actually ON the target. Wouldn't that be as accurate as you could be????

Old 01-18-2007, 11:16 AM

Default n

well here is how I see it. if I double the distance from full draw peep to sight pin I will see the pins dot as half the size it was. smaller pin + farther away = more aiming mistakes which should make you a better shot at long range. it will make the pins look smaller and they will cover up less of the target allowing for a more precisely aimed shot. if your sight pins cover up the whole vitals on a 3d deer target at 40 yds. how could you be shure you even had the pin on target at 50+??? now comp. shooters have sights that stick out feet from the riser I dont think i need that much but I dont want it hugging the riser either. the middle ground is hard to find some times.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:34 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: n

That's why I ordered my Viper Predator sight with .019 1st and second pins and .010 3rd and 4th pins. Just for the aforementioned reason.

Old 01-18-2007, 07:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rick James

Theoretically a longer sight plan*could* make it easier to be more accurate but only if the shooter is able to take full advantage of a sight bar that is shorter.

A sight bar can be used for several things. First of all, you can use it to help adjust balance of the bow. You can use it to make the pin guard/scope housing fit the peep sight perfectly. You can use it to adjust so that both the pin and target are clear. If someone has a weird anchor point and peep height you can adjust the sight bar to help get the distance you need out of a bows site. For example, in FITA archery mens classes shoot out to 90 meters. For people that have a nock to peep height of any less than 5" or so it is very difficult to get the arrows fletching to clear the scope housing because of how low the sight has to be adjusted to compensate for this distance. If you bring the sight bar extension in closer to the bow it will move the bows group up to help one get this distance. This is an extreme example but the idea holds true even for hunting sights when people may have a weird anchor point........shorten the sight extension and the group moves up. You can use this if you run out of elevation adjustment on a sight.

One would think a longer sight plane would make you more accurate but I have seen many people at the top level nationaly shooting 90m groups the size of a softball with a sight extension less than 6" in length.
This is all absolutely correct.

There is one more reason that many don't understand that can be good for the hunter.The further out you move the sight,the wider the pin gap will be.So if you want to set your sight up for pin gapping to fit the kill zone of a deer,you can adjust the sight out to widen the gap or move it in to narrow the gap.You could also move it out to just get the pins off of each other.

Rick talked about this but from a target standpoint with moving your groups up and down.