Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Does It REALLY Matter????

Old 01-17-2007, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Does It REALLY Matter????

I find that it's easier to pull more weight early in the draw cycle than later in the draw cycle. The farther back my arm gets the weaker I seem to feel. In this sense, draw force curves are important to me. I wouldn't want to have maximum weight at the end of the draw cycle. That would be uncomfortable for me.

Another important factor is "how big is the valley?" Do you have some room to creep a tad, or will the bow want to jerk your arm off unless you maintain constant pressure against the wall.... If a deer is in front of you and you have to alter your position at full draw I'd want some valley to play with.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: nodog

There's a difference. It's a theory as old as leverage, in fact it's exactly that. Move the fulcrum and it's either easier or harder even though it's the same weight.
Exactly, remove a bolt toruqed to 50 lbs. with a small wrench. Remove the same bolt with a large wrench. It's night and day. Thats gospel right there.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:14 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

There's a difference. It's a theory as old as leverage, in fact it's exactly that. Move the fulcrum and it's either easier or harder even though it's the same weight.
Exactly, remove a bolt toruqed to 50 lbs. with a small wrench. Remove the same bolt with a large wrench. It's night and day. Thats gospel right there.
The problem with that theory guys is it does not apply to thepull weight. That applies to the force weight the cams are placing on the limbs. While you are pulling 70 lbs the cams do the leverage and input far more force into the limbs. The fact that you are still pulling 70 lbs does not change.

This is why some bows are faster and more efficient than others but has NOTHING to do with draw weight. The scale does not lie, if it registers 70lbs then you are indeed pulling 70lbs at one point in the draw cycle. I don't care how much more or lessit's leveraging into the limbs.

This is the difference between the speed modules and the smooth modules BowTech offers I'm sure........but even with those, if your bow is set at 70lbs you're still pulling the same weight.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:26 PM
Site Bouncer

Again, I understand different bows with different cam designs will draw some what differently but that's my questions, does it really matter?

I will ask again, if every bow offered only maxed out to 40lbs would people even care about draw cycle force?

At that point nobody would care ifone bow drew slightly different from the next because it would still be easy to shoot. It's only when you start to get close to what you can pull does this start to matter.

I still think that if it has come to the point that the draw curve of the bow is the deal breaker then you are way overbowed.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

BigJ12, I can tell you I purchase my Bows for the same reasons GregH does. It isALL about the draw curve. Now Ihave an old93# Jennings elephant bow with 50% let off, I can shoot this bow all day long, No Grunting, Belching, or Farting involved, bow arm pointing stright at target, and smooth draw stright to anchor point staying on target the whole time. Now I drew all the new bows the other day and thay were from 60 to 7o lb. Some, the peak draw weight was on the very back side, so your going stright from 70 to 14 lb with a 1" valley befor you hit the wall!! I could not keep these bows from jerking when thay broke over. (This is one reason the Whisker Biscut is such a popular rest these days!) So my Question is, why should I buy Brand A in a 60lb pull (because from what you said 70lb is to much for me) When I can buy brand B,with a good draw curve in 90lb without the Jerk? So for me it's all about the Draw Curve!
Old 01-17-2007, 07:11 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: Sliverflicker

BigJ12, I can tell you I purchase my Bows for the same reasons GregH does. It isALL about the draw curve. Now Ihave an old93# Jennings elephant bow with 50% let off, I can shoot this bow all day long, No Grunting, Belching, or Farting involved, bow arm pointing stright at target, and smooth draw stright to anchor point staying on target the whole time. Now I drew all the new bows the other day and thay were from 60 to 7o lb. Some, the peak draw weight was on the very back side, so your going stright from 70 to 14 lb with a 1" valley befor you hit the wall!! I could not keep these bows from jerking when thay broke over. (This is one reason the Whisker Biscut is such a popular rest these days!) So my Question is, why should I buy Brand A in a 60lb pull (because from what you said 70lb is to much for me) When I can buy brand B,with a good draw curve in 90lb without the Jerk? So for me it's all about the Draw Curve!
Sliverflicker,

I don't recall saying 70lbs was too much for you, please post where I said that.

I also know about the drop intothe valley and yes there is a difference in the bows out there but I have yet to find one that "jerked" when the bow broke over to where I was worried about my arrow bouncing off of the rest or to where I could not keep it on target either.

You know as do most that there is only so much draw length the designers have to work with. In this, the cams need to build up and store the energyinto the limbs then drop into a reasonable valley in which to hold at full draw. This all needs to be done in a way that you are not pulling 70lbs in the first inch and dropping it all down in the last inch of draw so it's not like there is going to be a night and day difference from bow to bow.

Some are sharper than others, some valleys are more narrow, but there is only so much room the bow companies have to work with. I have yet to find one that can't be drawn slowly into the let off.

I can understand the reason for your example however my findings are no way near yours, I too can shoot a 100lb bow all day. Pulling a 70lb bow to me is as simple a cake and I have no problem with the let off into the valley of any bow.Maybe you need to work on your form.....I don't know.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:42 PM

A few years ago(2002) I crashed my bike and injured my shoulder. At the time I was shooting a Golden Eagle set at 70 lbs
After my crash I could not draw it back without a lot of pulling,pain and making funny faces. I hear stuff moving,tearing in my shoulder.
I crashed the first Sunday of May and was thinking I was going to not be able to bowhunt that season come Oct.
Try as I might, drawing my GE hurt, a lot!
I went and looked for a new bow since 70 lbs was the minimum draw on my GE bow.
I picked up a Mathews FX and drew it back, no pain, no pulling,no funny faces needed.
I asked Roger what it was set at and said, 70 lbs. I did not believe him. We put it on the bow scale and sure enough, it was right at 70 lbs.
I had him back it off to 65 and bought it that day. Saved my season
Was it the curve? Heck I don't know, but it sure pulled easier than the old bow.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:18 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: Buellhunter

A few years ago(2002) I crashed my bike and injured my shoulder. At the time I was shooting a Golden Eagle set at 70 lbs
After my crash I could not draw it back without a lot of pulling,pain and making funny faces. I hear stuff moving,tearing in my shoulder.
I crashed the first Sunday of May and was thinking I was going to not be able to bowhunt that season come Oct.
Try as I might, drawing my GE hurt, a lot!
I went and looked for a new bow since 70 lbs was the minimum draw on my GE bow.
I picked up a Mathews FX and drew it back, no pain, no pulling,no funny faces needed.
I asked Roger what it was set at and said, 70 lbs. I did not believe him. We put it on the bow scale and sure enough, it was right at 70 lbs.
I had him back it off to 65 and bought it that day. Saved my season
Was it the curve? Heck I don't know, but it sure pulled easier than the old bow.
I had the same thing happen to me when I was shopping for bows, one was so smooth I also didn't think it was all the way up to 70lbs. I think the differnet types of cams can and do make the draw "feel" lighter but I don't think iteffects the drawas much as we would like to think it doesbecause when it's all said and done we are indeed pulling (at some point) the amount the bow isset at. It's hard to tell someone that they didn't "feel" what they did. I'm glad you were able to find a bow that you could pull with your injury.

Again I still contend that if it has to come down to how the draw curve feels, I think the bow needs to be turned down and ego's put in check. Maybe I should put it this way....I don't think the draw curvecycle should matter as much as it does to most. How's that sound?

My sister-in-law hunted all year set at 42lbs andthe bow (Martin) did great on two deer. She started out at 50lbs and while she could pull it back it was right on the edge of where she was comfortable.She complained that at a certian point of the draw it was difficult for her to get past.When she dropped the weight she not only shot better but was able to feel more confident while hunting knowing she didn't have to worry about pulling her bow back on cold days after sitting still for a few hours. That confidence translated into two great kills for her.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Your shoulder is the fulcrum. Have a bow peak from the get go and it will be hard. Letit build until your elbow gets back and the leverage will work for you. Same weight just more leverage. When at anchor the hand is over the shoulder (you holding the long end). The cycle starts with you holding the short end and trying to lift an object on the long end. Switch it and walla, there you have it. I'm sure it also has a lot to do with the kinds of stress that part of the body can handle and using it's strengths efficiently.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:00 PM
Site Bouncer

Your shoulder is the fulcrum. Have a bow peak from the get go and it will be hard. Letit build until your elbow gets back and the leverage will work for you. Same weight just more leverage. When at anchor the hand is over the shoulder (you holding the long end). The cycle starts with you holding the short end and trying to lift an object on the long end. Switch it and walla, there you have it. I'm sure it also has a lot to do with the kinds of stress that part of the body can handle and using it's strengths efficiently.
I understand what you are trying to say however I'm not sure how it applies here.

Anywho, you have it slightly wrong...if I'm reading you correctly. The human body has FAR more strength when you start to pull. When your arm is moving back your ability to pull diminishes quickly. You no longer have the help of the large muscle group in your back and are pulling with more shoulder and arm muscles.The leverage at this point is against you. If there is one thing I know it's muscle/body dynamics and it's effect on lifting weights!

This is one reason why you see different types of lifting events in the World Strongest Man competition. It tests your overall muscle strength not just the basic lifts that only utilize the major muscle groups. I should know I competed in the west regional USA strongest man competition whenI was in college. I tried for a spot on the Worlds Strongest Man main event but fell short of making it (won in the sectional finalsbut lost in the regional finals). Had a great time though and got to pull a Grayhound bus!

Quick Reply: Does It REALLY Matter????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.