Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Does It REALLY Matter????

Old 01-17-2007, 02:57 PM
Site Bouncer

Default RE: Does It REALLY Matter????

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

This is my point, how in the world could it matter? If the draw curve makes that big a difference, then I suspect the person drawing is WAY overbowed!
The force curve on a compound could also be important to a person with bad shoulders.
If it comes down to draw force curve then that person is overbowed no doubt about it. Maybe that person should back it down a few lbs huh? That will save his/her shoulders more than the draw force curve they choose.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:03 PM

ORIGINAL: BigJ12

You guys are acting like a smooth drawing bow makes70lb feel like 50lb.Hey the scale doesn't lie, no matter what at some point during the cycle, you still have to pull the weight it is set at.Dan I never said some bows don't pull smoother than others read my post, what I did say isdoes it really matter? I can pull ANY 70lb bow out there just as smooth as silk in any position and in any weather. I still contend it's over rated.

I do think that it's important to those who are at the very limit of their pulling stength limits.

GregH, does a harsh drawing 50lb bow really pull harder than a smooth 60lb?I don't think so,maybeI'm wrong.
I understand your point, but thats why I said that its personal preference. Maybe its because I'm a smaller guy that I tend to want to draw a bow that doesn't necessarily feel like I'm drawing the max weight.

I can tell you that my 2007 70# Allegiance draws a hell of a lot smoother than my 2003 60# Jaguar.

Personaly preference.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:05 PM
Site Buck Guru

I don't know that the pull is any harder, but keeping the letoff from crashing into the valley is easier with a smoother drawing bow as is a lighter poundage bow (harsh).

You have to remember, not everyone is strong as heck!

Even though I once shot an indoor season at 82 lbs, I have migrated to easier smoother pulling bows. I like to feel totally comfortable at all stages of the draw cycle. I may have to stop instantly for some reason. I sure don't want it to be at some point with a tremendous mechanical disadvantage for me. You know, like at the big hump where it starts to break over like that of a harsh drawing bow.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:07 PM

What 70 lb bow wouldn't an ex-NFL football player beable to draw back slowly and smoothly?

I agree that some bows draw back and feel smoother. All 70 lb. bows will hit 70 lbs somewhere in the draw cycle but it's where and when it hits 70 lbs and how the weight builds up and drops off that gives a bow a percieved feeling of being smoother than another. It's all personal preference IMO.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:18 PM

Draw force does matter. And I think test shooting a new line up of several manufacturers is very important. The draw force in one bow say the 2005Bowtech Allegiance compared to its new version the 2007 is very different to me. I prefer the 2007 over the 2005 and I think that's what most of the new technology in compound bows has been working on these past five or more years.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:20 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

ORIGINAL: BigJ12

You guys are acting like a smooth drawing bow makes70lb feel like 50lb.Hey the scale doesn't lie, no matter what at some point during the cycle, you still have to pull the weight it is set at.Dan I never said some bows don't pull smoother than others read my post, what I did say isdoes it really matter? I can pull ANY 70lb bow out there just as smooth as silk in any position and in any weather. I still contend it's over rated.

I do think that it's important to those who are at the very limit of their pulling stength limits.

GregH, does a harsh drawing 50lb bow really pull harder than a smooth 60lb?I don't think so,maybeI'm wrong.
I understand your point, but thats why I said that its personal preference. Maybe its because I'm a smaller guy that I tend to want to draw a bow that doesn't necessarily feel like I'm drawing the max weight.

I can tell you that my 2007 70# Allegiance draws a hell of a lot smoother than my 2003 60# Jaguar.

Personaly preference.
Dan, there is no way you are going to convince me that your 70lb Allegiance is easier to draw than your 60lb Jaguar. Smoother yes but not easier. I know you didn't say easier but I feel with that statement you're implying that it's easier to draw.

I can say that a 100lb bowis smoother than a 40lb if it had a smoother draw cycle but that is not what I'm asking. To me some people make the draw force their "deal breaker" on buying or not buying a bow and I think it has more to do with the draw weight than anything.

Example: If all bows on the market maxed out at 40lbs you would not hear any discussion about the draw force curve because it would be easy for everybody to draw them no matter what position, weather, etc....

The ease of pulling makes the draw force curve a moot point and makesMY point that people get so close to theirability to pull back the bow that they NEED a smoother draw cycle. That translates (to me at least) they are overbowed to begin with.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:21 PM

imo, I think you should shoot whatever bow makes you comfortable/confident thats all that matters. anything new is "good for now"....I choose whatever bow fits me the best!
Old 01-17-2007, 03:31 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: GregH
Even though I once shot an indoor season at 82 lbs, I have migrated to easier smoother pulling bows. I like to feel totally comfortable at all stages of the draw cycle. I may have to stop instantly for some reason. I sure don't want it to be at some point with a tremendous mechanical disadvantage for me. You know, like at the big hump where it starts to break over like that of a harsh drawing bow.
You hit the nail on the head here GregH.......Alot of people cannot do this and I feel it has more to do with the weight they are pulling than the draw cycle.

I like a smooth drawing bow just like the next guy, I think I purchased a very smooth bow in the Ross CR334 but I don't think that the draw cycle of this bow or any other really mattered. They all were different (slightly) but all were good enough to hunt the way you described above.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator

I had my old XI Demon at between 55-53lbs. I could shoot it all day long. (teeny little wheels)

When I ordered the Bowtech I had it set at 53lbs.

I seriously could not pull that puppy back more than once or twice in a row when it arrived.

Even now I can only shoot it about 30 times in a row before I start to lose feeling in my arm/hand.

Draw force or whatever.... there certainly is a huge difference for me. [:-]
Old 01-17-2007, 05:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

There's a difference. It's a theory as old as leverage, in fact it's exactly that. Move the fulcrum and it's either easier or harder even though it's the same weight.

Quick Reply: Does It REALLY Matter????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.