Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

dropaway or WB

Old 01-18-2007, 05:59 PM

Default RE: dropaway or WB

ORIGINAL: petasux

like it or not there is a certain amount of noise associated with them but it can be kept pretty minimal.
Of course there is..........my statement was that noise from a WB is a non-issue IMO. I never said it makes no noise. Anyone with even a BASIC understanding of physics can comprehend that dragging an arrow for 20+ inches over ANY other material will make some amout of noise. EVERY rest has to deal with this fact of life. That's why fork tamers, moleskin, shrink wrap and every other gadget is selling on shelves all over the country. With these add-ons you can quiet most any rest out there to an acceptable level. I don't like add-ons and glue, and extra stuff stuck on such a vital part of my bow. The WB is more then quiet enough to draw on and kill whatever you want to. I have at least 20,000 shots through mine with arrows of all kinds.......and I personally shoot frequently with no less then 5 other guys who shoot them and they all shoot different arrows. None of these setups scare deer either (and we would all certainly say something if we thought even for a second that one of our bows was too loud to hunt with (family and good friends).

We still have one guy who comes over and shoots with an older Bodoodle with worn fork tamers..........that thing is like nails on a chalk board.

Noise is something EVERY hunter should be concerned about........My experience over the last 4 years of shooting a WB is that fortunately it is not something I need to worry about.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:15 PM

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.a...age=1&key=

This is a link to a thread on this site where 6 members have problems with the QAD rest............7 considering Muzzyman had his break on him shortly after. You will also notice that the picture of the rest on the front page of the QAD site shows the rest covered in felt/moleskin.........obviously there are noise issues with this rest also or the company would not feel the need to ensconce the thing in velvet.

Now I am sure I could look and find threads full of guys griping about WB's too..............the point is that EVERY rest has good and bad points.

When taking the whole picture into consideration I believe the WB has more to offer as a hunting rest.

Thousands of animals of all kinds fall to the WB year after year.........it is probably the best selling hunting rest of all time (just a guess).....tournaments are won in Vegas with it.........our very own dukemichaels even manages to kill some pretty darn big bucks with it (damn deer nerds [8D]). It's a great hunting rest.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:00 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: 5575gb

Just went from a WB deluxe to a Ripcord, shouldhave done this LONG ago.
There is no comparison really, full containment, silent and no vane contact mmmm.
Laying your bow in your lap?? There's no way I'd becaught dead in a tree with my bow in my lap. Go get yourself a realtree bow hanger with the two joints, you'll have that bow right in front of you at all times.
I'll jump back into this fray only because I was called out. Since I'm the only one who mentioned that I keep my bow in my lap I will assume you were refering to me.

So there is no way you will be caught dead with your bow on your lap....huh......so you have NEVER had a deer sneak in without you knowing?

It does not matter if I'm sitting or standing my hand is ALWAYS on the bow grip. It's just the way I have always hunted. The least amount of movement the better. Most of the time I also have my release attached to, and you can bet your a$$ that I am standing with bow in hand and release attached during the last "magic hour"

You hunt the way you want, I'll hunt the way I want.If you want some metal hinged arm sticking out in front of you just so you have your bow at close reach fine, but don't come crying here saying you hit it with your bow (or yourself) or the deer saw you reaching for your bow...... Or better yet, saw you trying to move some silly double hinged POS out of the way so you could take a shot because the deer just happened to come in on the side that your bow hanger is on and is now between you and it!

2 sides to every coin.

I'll just keepmy bow in hand with the arrow safely enclosed in a Whisker Biscuit rest thank you.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:53 PM

BigJ-Amen!
Old 01-20-2007, 12:48 AM
voz
Fork Horn

I have a couple wisker biscuits I'm willing to get rid of real cheap if you are interested.
Old 01-20-2007, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Atlasman, my post wasnt directed at you personally.Matter of fact I didnt read 90% of the posts in this topic.The original post asked a question, I gave an honest answer based on my experience with the rest.If Im going to recomend a product to someone Ill certainly point out any potential drawbacks it may have and dont feel obligated to stand on my head defending it even if its one I use personally and frequently.I have no experience with drop aways, I cant give an opinion on them and I wont give a biased comparison on them just because I use a WB.I sure the hell dont need a lecture on physics, I dont care how many arrows you have shot, and Im not even sure what the number of guys you practice with has to do with the conversation.Dont know what you read into that comment you quoted from me but get over it, all you did was went into a long rant that basically agreed with what I said, whats your point?Theres a reason posts like this always go to hell in a hurry andpeople pushing thier favorite product like they own stock in the company is usually most of it.
Old 01-20-2007, 02:26 PM

Atlasman, my post wasnt directed at you personally.
Mine was not directed at you either..........I picked your quote only because it mentioned noise and that was the point I was about to elaborate on.

Dont know what you read into that comment you quoted from me but get over it, all you did was went into a long rant that basically agreed with what I said, whats your point?
My point WAS basically in agreement with you.........I don't see how you read any more into it then that.

Theres a reason posts like this always go to hell in a hurry andpeople pushing thier favorite product like they own stock in the company is usually most of it.
You claim to not like biased opinions but then slam someone who has a positive opinion as "pushing a product". Stop reading into things and relax...........I wasn't even talking to you (or anyone else) in particular. I justed used your quote as a launching point for specific subject.
Old 01-21-2007, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Anyone with even a BASIC understanding of physics can comprehend that dragging an arrow for 20+ inches over ANY other material will make some amout of noise.
Your post came across as being kinda condecending weather you meant it to or not.

And on page 4 you had already made your point about the noise or lack of noise with a WB.

Noise is a non issue..........I have never had a deer even flinch when I drew.......and there is no moleskin anywhere on my bow.
Thats why I thought you were directing somethingat me.You already had a launching point for that subject.Anyway, it doesnt matter, if I misunderstood your post I apologize.

Old 01-21-2007, 10:51 AM

Your post came across as being kinda condecending weather you meant it to or not.
Like I said.......I wasn't talking to you or anyone else in particular so that point is moot...........and what does the weather have to do with this?

And on page 4 you had already made your point about the noise or lack of noise with a WB.
And then I elaborated on it.

Thats why I thought you were directing somethingat me.
You thought wrong.

Anyway, it doesnt matter, if I misunderstood your post I apologize.
You did......and I accept.

Old 01-21-2007, 10:54 AM

ORIGINAL: in da woods

I have shot w/a fall away for years. I was at a proshop last week, & shot the owner's bow, which had a WB on it. The arrows had a flat trajectory in a 20yd range. The owner recommended it for hunting, & a fall away for 3-D shoots. I bought a Bowtech Tribute that day & had put a WB on it. I shot about 20 arrrows & 2 tell u the truth, I could not even see the arrows go down range, they were shooting just as flat as my fall away. The one advantage of the WB is that it you don't have to worry about your arrow falling off. Disadvantage is that you may lose a little speed w/the vanes going thru. Obviously due to friction from contact. I did not notice any obvious noise when shooting. I also had a friend listen while I shot, & he didn't hear anything either. Now whether a deer hears it or not, is anyone's guess. I guess it falls onto what is your primary purpose for the bow hunting/leagues. There is a thread here somewhere that recommended using Blazer Vanes w/a WB, which I have heard the same from 2 proshop owners. This is the combo that the proshop owner, I was at, shoots himself for hunting. That is what I went with, & am very happy w/the combo. Some have said that using larger vanes w/the WB tears them up, which is why the Blazers work better. Not only are the smaller, but they seem a thicker, & are supposed to help plane out broadheads better. I guess go to a shop & have them put one on & try it out. Good luck.
als a bad thig about them is that they have a tendancy to make noise when drawing back and spook animals which is not good!

Quick Reply: dropaway or WB

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.