Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

dropaway or WB

Old 01-18-2007, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: dropaway or WB

I started using a WB about the same time I quit using treestands for the most part.i like being able to crawl down a fenceline, sneak through a thicket, or follow a deer trail through the cattails with my arrow nocked and not have to worry about it popping off the rest.I also find myself shooting from very awkward positions from time to time and have had arrows drop off the rest before in these situations.

Theyre not fool proof though, like it or not there is a certain amount of noise associated with them but it can be kept pretty minimal.Ive drawn back on deer standing a couple yards away and not had them notice, Ive also seen deer 20 yrds away tense up as I draw back, dont know if its the sound or the movement thats alerted them in those situations.

Weather can affect them, Ive hunted deer in therain and had the rest do some questionable things mostly noise related, but mostly in extremely cold weather is where I ran into problems.The late season here brings temps well below zero and some years the windchill drops it to -20 to -40 degrees for long periods of time.Three times in these conditions Ive taken shots that resulted in the arrow making a clunking noise as it passed through the whiskers and dropping under the deer.But that was onlythree times in 6 years, Ive had as much problems with other rests in the past in much nicer weather.Near as I can tell the whiskers just got hard and the fletching couldnt pass through them as easily resulting in the noise and arrow dropping off fast.Reaching down and rubbing the whiskers occasionaly seems to help if youre gonna be sitting or walking for awhile.

All in all its the best rest Ive found for the type of hunting I do, its got minor drawbacks but Ive been happy for the most part.If I strictly stand hunted or used a ground blind without all the moving around I do Id probably check into a drop away.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:03 AM

I have. I've been in here before....and stated my experience with the rest and the buck that went on full alert when it heard MY arrow being drug across the bristles. I was attempting to draw on a buck that was 27 feet from me....in the silent Winter air. The CAP (Carolina Archery Products - makers of the WB) website even has a section devoted to the noise the WB makes.....and tells of remedies. To say the thing doesn't make noise is being delusional. It makes noise. The mfg. admits to it.....even if the fanatical fans, won't.
You said it all in that statement. It is the finish on your arrow. Perfect exampl: Last Sat. a friend & myself were @ a range shooting @ 20yds. He shoots GT's w/a camo finish, & a fall away. I shoot Easton Axis w/a WB. When he was drawing back I could hear his arrow 15' standing behind him. If I can hear it, the deer sure will hear it. I noticed the same sound on those GT's on my fall away on my previous bow. Same thing, dead quiet winter morning. Before puchasing the Eastons, I move them back & forth on the WB & did not hear any thing. My friend also stood behind me when I was shooting the Eastons & a WB, & stated that is was quiet. The Eastons have a very slick/smooth finish, while the camo finish looks good, you can feel it by sliding your finger across it. I don't think the noise has to do with the rest as much as the finish on the arrow is the culprit.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:10 AM
Dominant Buck

in da woods:

You'll get no argument from me. What riled me up, last year...is a WB fanatic telling me that there's NO WAY that sound (you know....the one YOU and my deer heard) was what put my buck on full alert. It makes a noise 9with MY arrows....and others. It doesn't with others. I just had too much wrapped up in arrows to let a rest dictate which ones I could and couldn't shoot.

Old 01-18-2007, 08:49 AM

Exactly GMMAT; I was buying a new bow along w/arrows, & the Eastons were recommended by people here & the proshop owner, who actually uses them hunt'n. It just turns out that the they are quiet with that particular rest. Now my friend is considering putting felt pads on his fall away to quiet down the arrows. I couldn't see him or anyoneelse trashing their arrows for thesake of a rest.We'll see how it turns out next week.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just had too much wrapped up in arrows to let a rest dictate which ones I could and couldn't shoot.
SO to "fix" your problem, you chose to buy another rest, when in fact you could've bought new arrows for about the same price and done the same thing!
If the noise was such a factor, why is it that it took a deer to alert you to the noise? Was it not something that you had noticed before the deer alerted to the noise?
Old 01-18-2007, 09:47 AM
Dominant Buck

SO to "fix" your problem, you chose to buy another rest, when in fact you could've bought new arrows for about the same price and done the same thing!
If the noise was such a factor, why is it that it took a deer to alert you to the noise? Was it not something that you had noticed before the deer alerted to the noise?
I'm not following you. If I Spend $120 on new arrows......then what do I do with the $120 worth of arrows I already have?

I was in my infancy as far as deer hunting and bowhunting were concerned. I didn't know a lot of things I know, now, at that point. I learned the hard way. I'm trying to save others the lesson.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

This topic never seems to fail!!.....

I like the WB for many of the reasons already posted.I like the simple concept and the fact that I can eliminate moving parts by using it. It offers less that could potentially mess up. I like to practice K.I.S.S.

The main point in choosing/using anything for hunting is if you are confident in using it. If you have doubts even if they are in your own mind..........get rid of it and get something else. If you are not sure about the design and it raises questions in you mind..........change.

Old 01-18-2007, 02:23 PM
Fork Horn

Just went from a WB deluxe to a Ripcord, shouldhave done this LONG ago.
There is no comparison really, full containment, silent and no vane contact mmmm.
Laying your bow in your lap?? There's no way I'd becaught dead in a tree with my bow in my lap. Go get yourself a realtree bow hanger with the two joints, you'll have that bow right in front of you at all times.

Old 01-18-2007, 05:25 PM

ORIGINAL: petasux

Ive drawn back on deer standing a couple yards away and not had them notice, Ive also seen deer 20 yrds away tense up as I draw back, dont know if its the sound or the movement thats alerted them in those situations.

That right there is what separates the men from the boys. Having this discussion with someone who doesn't understand that yet is pointless.

Bravo.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:37 PM

ORIGINAL: in da woods

Perfect exampl: Last Sat. a friend & myself were @ a range shooting @ 20yds. He shoots GT's w/a camo finish, & a fall away. I shoot Easton Axis w/a WB. When he was drawing back I could hear his arrow 15' standing behind him. If I can hear it, the deer sure will hear it.
So your friends drop away is louder then your WB???...........shocking.

I noticed the same sound on those GT's on my fall away on my previous bow. Same thing, dead quiet winter morning.
You scared away a deer with the sound from drawing a drop away??.......Interesting.

Before puchasing the Eastons, I move them back & forth on the WB & did not hear any thing. My friend also stood behind me when I was shooting the Eastons & a WB, & stated that is was quiet.
So you were not only smart enough to check out your equipment before buying it..........but also before hunting with it as well??? Sounds logical. If you know your gear as well as you should then there should be no surprises in the woods...........no matter what you are shooting. If you scare a deer with a sound in the woods you have no one to blame but yourself.........for either making that sound when you shouldn't have, or for not knowing enough about deer to realize that sound would spook them.

Quick Reply: dropaway or WB

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.