Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

dropaway or WB

Old 01-17-2007, 07:11 PM

Default RE: dropaway or WB

The WB is a GREAT hunting rest...........period. It is simple, solid, and more accurate then most guys in this forum are capable of being. Like has already been said in this thread......the WB is a convenient scapegoat for people that are looking to blame a piece of equipment instead of finding the real problem.

I have shot prong rests, drop aways and the WB. The WB wins hands down for hunting IMO. I don't like hanging my bow on a hook that I have to reach for.......too much motion IMO. I prefer to just lay my bow across my stands front rail and pick it up when I am ready to roll. I don't know of any drop away that can do that without the arrow rattling around in the forks/arrow holder........and I don't trust ANYTHING that is glued to my bow. I had one of those rubber arrow holders fall right off in the woods one day.

The rest must be properly tuned as with any other rest.........but once it is you are golden..........no moving parts and nothing to constantly adjust. Just a steady, solid performer.

Noise is a non issue..........I have never had a deer even flinch when I drew.......and there is no moleskin anywhere on my bow. Speed loss is a non issue. I have shot through a chrono to test and my results were 1-2 fps.......that is meaningless. I use 2" Blazers and the only times I refletch is when I get bored with the colors. I did an experiement a while back and posted pics in the technical forum showing how tuning of the rest has DRAMATIC effects on vane wear. A properly tuned rest and bow will not eat up vanes in my years of experience shooting thousands of shots through this rest.

I think the best compliment I can give the WB is that I never even think about it..........EVER. It is that reliable. I know that if I do everything right it won't let me down.

This is NOT meant to put down other rests in any way. Most perform well.......and surely well enough to kill a deer. I just think that with all things considered for hunting the WB offers the most complete package.

Like bows.........whatever you feel most comfortable with is probably what you will shoot the best.

Old 01-17-2007, 07:23 PM
Typical Buck

Atlas, I can do all of that with my QAD. I Have put hundreds of shots throught it between spots league last year and 3d all summer. I used it all hunting season and am using now for winter league. I have had it in the rain and the cold without a problem.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

dropaway, I don't care which kind

Old 01-17-2007, 09:21 PM

ORIGINAL: lpv77

Atlas, I can do all of that with my QAD.
I like the idea behind the QAD rest but it has 2 things I don't like. Moving parts and too much room for the arrow to rattle around in.

This is a picture of a QAD rest at full draw.........how can you go from a horizontal position to shot ready without having to be careful the arrow doesn't rattle around in all that space?

I Have put hundreds of shots throught it between spots league last year and 3d all summer. I used it all hunting season and am using now for winter league. I have had it in the rain and the cold without a problem.
Over the last 4 years if my WB has less then 20,000 shots through it I would be shocked. I did change biscuits once (not from wear but from older to new model) It has been through the weather gauntlet as well.

I never said the QAD was a bad rest...........in fact, I think the number of actual "bad" rests out there is probably pretty small..........I just listed some reasons why I feel the WB is a better choice for hunting.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:33 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: atlasman

ORIGINAL: lpv77

Atlas, I can do all of that with my QAD.
I like the idea behind the QAD rest but it has 2 things I don't like. Moving parts and too much room for the arrow to rattle around in.

This is a picture of a QAD rest at full draw.........how can you go from a horizontal position to shot ready without having to be careful the arrow doesn't rattle around in all that space?

I Have put hundreds of shots throught it between spots league last year and 3d all summer. I used it all hunting season and am using now for winter league. I have had it in the rain and the cold without a problem.
Over the last 4 years if my WB has less then 20,000 shots through it I would be shocked. I did change biscuits once (not from wear but from older to new model) It has been through the weather gauntlet as well.

I never said the QAD was a bad rest...........in fact, I think the number of actual "bad" rests out there is probably pretty small..........I just listed some reasons why I feel the WB is a better choice for hunting.
Good points atlas.

Do you think there is enough moleskin on that rest!
What happens when that stuff gets soaked? does it slow the drop speed?
Old 01-17-2007, 09:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Big12 I tested my QAD
Soaked it in water, froze it(put it in the freezer for 4 hours then shot it)

no issue I do this with all my rest.

Either will get the job done, good luck!
Old 01-17-2007, 09:59 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: Germ

Big12 I tested my QAD

Germ,

I wasn't questioning if the rest will work, I'd like to think it was constructed to do so, I was wondering how the rest reacts with a load of water soaked into the moleskin?

I remember the PWB days (Pre Whisker Biscuit) when my bow was covered with the stuff and it did soak up the water. I remember the moleskin on my shelf would freeze if it got wet and the temp dropped.

Old 01-18-2007, 04:48 AM
Dominant Buck

Noise is a non issue..........I have never had a deer even flinch when I drew.......and there is no moleskin anywhere on my bow.
I have. I've been in here before....and stated my experience with the rest and the buck that went on full alert when it heard MY arrow being drug across the bristles. I was attempting to draw on a buck that was 27 feet from me....in the silent Winter air. The CAP (Carolina Archery Products - makers of the WB) website even has a section devoted to the noise the WB makes.....and tells of remedies. To say the thing doesn't make noise is being delusional. It makes noise. The mfg. admits to it.....even if the fanatical fans, won't.

I prefer a bow hook....and use one, exclusively....unless I guess I'd happen to be sitting down (which I try to avoid). Anyways....why in the world couldn't you just put your finger over the arrow until you got it into a vertical position (semi-vertical, even). I have the same piece of moleskin I put on my rest the day I put it on in mid-November '05. It worked just fine, this year.

If you're interested in a WB....like I've always said....it's a great rest. It makes noise, though.....and the manufacturer of the rest KNOWS IT.....and eludes to it on their website. Go see for yourself.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: BigJ12

ORIGINAL: Germ

Big12 I tested my QAD

Germ,

I wasn't questioning if the rest will work, I'd like to think it was constructed to do so, I was wondering how the rest reacts with a load of water soaked into the moleskin?

I remember the PWB days (Pre Whisker Biscuit) when my bow was covered with the stuff and it did soak up the water. I remember the moleskin on my shelf would freeze if it got wet and the temp dropped.

I soaked the moleskin also and shot it, all good!!.

This rest works on velocity of the arrow to set it off. I understand now what your asking.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:02 AM

Yes right now it is the only thing I will use especially for hunting if you need a arrow nocked for a period of time it is a must I hunt spot stalk and ground blind it is a must for me and I think it shoots alittle better the only small disadvantage is that you will tear the tips of normal fletching up a little sooner than a drop away but I use the best BLAZER VANES invincibletry it

Quick Reply: dropaway or WB

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.