Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

what is the furthest you would shoot

Old 01-15-2007, 09:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: what is the furthest you would shoot

ORIGINAL: Charlie P

Thought bow hunting was about getting them close?
NO,bowhunting is about getting an animal that you want to take in bow range.For some that is 5 yards and for some that is 60 yards.As long as the equipment and the shooter are up to the task.There isn't a problem.

Yes,things happen and deer move but a 60 yard shot with the high energy bows of today are getting there as fast as the low energy bows of the past or traditional bows at 25-30 yards.

Deer are more apt to move or jump at 15 yards than they are at 60.They will jump at anything at 15 yards and bad hits are made at this distance because of that all the time.

All that being said,there are only a handfull of hunters/archers that should even try a shot like that and if you are thinking that 2 pins will get you there,then you are by no means ready for a shot like that.Please don't take offense,that is not intended.You MUST understand how to read animals and KNOW equipment for this to come out good.To shoot a deer at 60 yards,you need 5 pins to be accurate.ALONG WITH A RANGEFINDER.On top of that,you need to be a hell of a shot.I am going to suggest 4" groups at that distance with your hunting setup.With a target rig,I can do that butI try to limit my shots to 50 while hunting.Everything is different when hunting than when shooting targets in the back yard.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:36 PM
Typical Buck

i only shoot out to 30 yards.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I practice all the time to 60. All but 3 animals have been in the 20 yards range. I took my longest this year at 62 yards. I have 4 pins to 50 and stack my 60 so that will keep me within my limts. But I practice this all the time and feel very confident stacking to 60. Take the shot that YOU feel confident in. I dont see how 2 pins would work up to this distance though.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would take a 60 yard shot. I like the 5 pin black gold sight
Old 01-16-2007, 06:13 PM
Typical Buck

I wasn't tring to be a smart a**, if you feel like you can shoot out to 60yards then so be it, you are a better shoot than i am, if the shot is there take it, i was just saying that people take long shot then post things saying they cant find the deer or the wooded it, keep posting threads, you will learn alot from these guys. sorry if i made you feel like a dumba** or offended you at all
Old 01-16-2007, 07:41 PM

I don't shoot at deer past 40 yards. I have never shot past that on the range. I have three pins on my bow set at 10, 20, and 30 yards. For 40 I just aim higher with the 30 yard pin.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: TFOX

ORIGINAL: Charlie P

Thought bow hunting was about getting them close?
NO,bowhunting is about getting an animal that you want to take in bow range.For some that is 5 yards and for some that is 60 yards.As long as the equipment and the shooter are up to the task.There isn't a problem.

Yes,things happen and deer move but a 60 yard shot with the high energy bows of today are getting there as fast as the low energy bows of the past or traditional bows at 25-30 yards.

Deer are more apt to move or jump at 15 yards than they are at 60.They will jump at anything at 15 yards and bad hits are made at this distance because of that all the time.

All that being said,there are only a handfull of hunters/archers that should even try a shot like that and if you are thinking that 2 pins will get you there,then you are by no means ready for a shot like that.Please don't take offense,that is not intended.You MUST understand how to read animals and KNOW equipment for this to come out good.To shoot a deer at 60 yards,you need 5 pins to be accurate.ALONG WITH A RANGEFINDER.On top of that,you need to be a hell of a shot.I am going to suggest 4" groups at that distance with your hunting setup.With a target rig,I can do that butI try to limit my shots to 50 while hunting.Everything is different when hunting than when shooting targets in the back yard.
TFOX ..... awesome post! Great advise!
Old 01-16-2007, 08:27 PM

I can shoot my bow with accuracy to 50 yds. But this is in a poll barn. No wind or branches and don't forget grass. Were I hunt most shots uninterupted is up to 35yds. And I question that do to the factor of wind a slight breeze at a distance greater than that can destroy a shot.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:24 PM

I sighted my new 4 pin BlackGold sight out to 50yrds. Why? The only reason was because i start with a 20yrd pin and kept moving back to sight all my pins in. At 50 yards i was acurately hitting a paper plate, but by no means would I attempt that long of a shot in the woods on an animal. The reason i feel that way is because if you jerk your bow ever so slightly at 20 yards you may be off your mark by an inch, but at 50-60 yards you are gonna be off my 7-10 inches. Making bad shots is not my cup of tea. I've done it as well as most of us on here, but I dont want to do it again, and by shooting longer ranges you have less room for error. Just my opinion. If you are breaking shafts at 60 yards then by all means take the shot, but if you are shooting and every once in a while you hit the bullseye, I would try to get that buck in closer, or next time out position your stand differently.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Elkcrazy8

I practice all the time to 60. All but 3 animals have been in the 20 yards range. I took my longest this year at 62 yards. I have 4 pins to 50 and stack my 60 so that will keep me within my limts. But I practice this all the time and feel very confident stacking to 60. Take the shot that YOU feel confident in. I dont see how 2 pins would work up to this distance though.

Hey Elk,maybe you should explain what you mean by stacking.That doesn't seem to be one of those things people do anymore.I am sure that most have no idea what you are talking about.

I remember my brother shooting when he was 16 in field(what kind I am not sure)(I was only 12)rounds and having to stack 80 yard targets with his 60 yard pin with fingers.He shot a perfect score one day(300) and the person that was helping him in archery at the time took all his arrows and tossed them,saying he used those up.[:-]

Quick Reply: what is the furthest you would shoot

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.