Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Higginson-Henry WMA - Western KY - Info Needed!

Old 01-15-2007, 01:19 PM
Spike

Default Higginson-Henry WMA - Western KY - Info Needed!

Anyone familiar with Higginson-Henry WMA in Western KY?

If so, I'm looking for some general information on the place.

[ul][*]What is the trophy potential in that county?[*]How bad is the bow hunting pressure in early season/rut?[*]Arethere opportunities to get away from the hunting pressure?[*]Access routes look good. Easy to access or surrounded by private property?[*]Are the locals friendly or will they treat out-of-state hunters poorly?[/ul]
I'm just looking for the low-down about the place. I'm looking for a good place to start bow hunting earlier in the year, and since KY opens in September, it is a prime opportunity.

I live four hours away from Higginson-Henry and I want to make sure it is going to be worth it. Bow-only w/a 15 inch minimum spread is what is drawing me to this place. QDM on public ground is awesome in my eyes.

What can you guys tell me about the place? The area looks prime for big bucks.

Any info. is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Old 01-15-2007, 01:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Higginson-Henry WMA - Western KY - Info Needed!

Were hunting there in sept 07, there is a pile of info at KY DNR site.

I have heard its crowed later in the season, but not bad in early season.

Old 01-15-2007, 01:52 PM
Spike

Thanks. I've been to the DNR site. I was just looking for anyone with first- hand experience. A local person that knows a lot about the place maybe.

Going in September, 2007? Well, good luck! Maybe I'll see you there.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

TFOX can help you out
Old 01-15-2007, 04:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

This deer was taken in the same county in 1964.It was a gun kill and was the biggest ever killed with a gun for a long time.It was taken about 15 minutes from H&H.Don't expect to see something like this but it does give you an idea of the "potential"I have not heard of anyone seeing anything close to this either.I did see one a few years ago that was a 170 class but the one pictured above is quite a bit bigger than that.

There is easy access and you will not find friendlier people anywhere in the country.I have met a few that have come to this area to do a job and go home,pack and move to this area.

The ONLY issue MIGHT be horses.There is alot of riding done on H&H, BUT they must stay on designated trails and they utilize a small area of H&H.
Old 01-15-2007, 04:37 PM
Spike

TFOX,

Thanks for the reply. I was looking at an outfitter, Deer Creek Lodge, in Sebree,KY before I found H&H. It's the same area as the "Hills Region" hunts they offer, and they claim the trophy potential is outstanding. Of course, they plant food plots and manage for the trophy bucks, nonetheless, it is the same area.

Good to know the people are first rate. That makes it much easier when trying to navigate unknown areas of public lands.

Thanks again.
Old 01-15-2007, 04:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: nstrut

TFOX,

Thanks for the reply. I was looking at an outfitter, Deer Creek Lodge, in Sebree,KY before I found H&H. It's the same area as the "Hills Region" hunts they offer, and they claim the trophy potential is outstanding. Of course, they plant food plots and manage for the trophy bucks, nonetheless, it is the same area.

Good to know the people are first rate. That makes it much easier when trying to navigate unknown areas of public lands.

Thanks again.

NO PROBLEM

Hey germ,does that picture get your blood pumping?[8D]
Old 01-15-2007, 05:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Oh yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-15-2007, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Union County has pretty decent trophy potential, several P&Y typicals have come from Union County. As far as monster bucks only two B&C typicals have come from this county andno non-typicals, but I'm sure there are some roaming around. Good ol'boys don't always pay their $25. I've seen 130 to 140 class on HH,but nothingREALLY big.

As for huntingpressure, not to bad earlyseason, due to seed tick infestation. After a good hard freeze, 2nd or 3rd week of Oct., itgets some heavy pressure on the weekends andevenings.When gun season kicks in, the 2nd weekend of Nov. and the rutis at full swing, you will be all alone at HH.

No way to get away from the pressure becouse the park has very good access.

People arevery good and down to earth.

Old 01-15-2007, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

TFOX, that is a dandy, if I can get over to a friends house this week to use his scanner, I will post one of his Grandson killed 20 years later in 84, 10pt, 174 1/2", 24 1/2'' inside spread. nstrut, Union, Webster, Caldwell, Critten?, Hopkins,well almost all countys in Western KY. have the potential for the buck of a life time.

Quick Reply: Higginson-Henry WMA - Western KY - Info Needed!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.