Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Never too early to plan for next year....

Old 01-14-2007, 05:14 PM

Default Never too early to plan for next year....

My main goal this season was to take a buck w/ my bow. Didn't happen, BUT that has made me all the more determined for next year. I'll be in the woods shed hunting and post season scouting (I've never done that before) and I want to have a stand or two hung by April. My biggest goal for the spring is to find a few more farms to hunt this fall. I'll be headed to the county seat and buying a plat book. Oh, andam in need of a few cheap-O hang on stands......wink, wink......

How bout ya'll? What are you doing this spring to prepare for next fall?
Old 01-14-2007, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Never too early to plan for next year....

I've been walking my property as much as possible and actually going into the real thick stuff to find networks of trails and where they actually come from and lead to. I'm going to use arial photos in conjunction with my walks and begin to make notes. I hope to have an actual deer activity "blueprint" that I can use to determine better stand locations in relation to wind direction. I've also started clearing out areas for new stands and ways to get into and out of the stands as well as creating brush funnels. I live in an area that has been less than ideal in deer population in the past three or so years but I'm going to be doing everything to increase my odds.
Old 01-14-2007, 06:16 PM
dws

I'm working on my property to clean it up a little. I bought it 2 years ago and inherited about 200 junk tires with it. I hauled 54 to the landfill last week, 150 more to go at $2 a piece [:@]. I'd also like to thin a few areas out a little more just so I can see better. I just don't want to do so much that I change the deer patterns though.
Old 01-14-2007, 06:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Mobo your planning what i like to do also. alot of scouting while i look for sheds and hang a stand or two, matter of fact i have already picked a couple of trees i will be using this coming season. good luck.
Dan
ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

My main goal this season was to take a buck w/ my bow. Didn't happen, BUT that has made me all the more determined for next year. I'll be in the woods shed hunting and post season scouting (I've never done that before) and I want to have a stand or two hung by April. My biggest goal for the spring is to find a few more farms to hunt this fall. I'll be headed to the county seat and buying a plat book. Oh, andam in need of a few cheap-O hang on stands......wink, wink......

How bout ya'll? What are you doing this spring to prepare for next fall?
Old 01-14-2007, 07:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

mo.......we are in the same boat...and i think i know why...that was you that recomended the books wasnt it??? i didnt see your last reply till i already had them ordered sorry i would definently took ya up on the offer...but im with ya. this will be my second year bowhunting. im doing it all 100% diffrent.

-my scouting will be done by turkey season(may at the latest)
-ill have ALOT more areas selected and ready to roll then i did this year..no more overhunting with hangon stands up around the same time in the BEST areas
-doing things MY way on my own..not trusting other people that dont bowhunt or understand bowhunting...
-im going to be knocking down doors and trying to get permission here SOON...soon as i recover from the season...scouting this week and weekend on state game lands and national forest i hunt

just doing alot of things diffrent..i dont plan to kill a record book buck..i dont plan to kill a big buck..id be happy to get a little legal 8pt under my belt...but this year i could killed 3 1.5yo bucks and 2 2.5yo bucks...so after i start doing things right and "better" i think ill be well on my way to becoming a bowhunter. i seen more bucks this year than most seasoned bowhunters i know. i think i did well...but i know tooo many things i did wrong..if i fix em and keep learning yearly i think ill be doin alright...thats what its all about. its never too early to plan for next year. this whole late season i been keeping track of where the deer are coming from our flintlock drives. i know one buck if he dont get killed on the road he will be a dandy and i think my odds against him are fairly GOOD. he lives in a small woodlot..i been thinking about him all evening and if he dont get killed on the road(which he crosses daily) i think i can get him killed EARLY on with good wind..first weekend im home from college im finding the landowner and begggggging for permission lol. the hard part may be finding the landowner and getting permission.