Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Cuddeback setup

Old 01-14-2007, 08:17 PM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: Cuddeback setup

Troy,

I got the Cuddeback 3.0 last christmas. I put it out xmas day and brought it in on March 1st. I kept moving it around. I'm not real experienced with it but the batteries lasted the whole time and took over 100 pictures. I got a little nervous about using it during the season but think I will this year. It works well in cold weather. It can be a great scouting tool. I really like seeing pictures of deer. It's like opening presents!

The deer are shedding here. I saw one 2 days before xmas. I won't start looking for a couple of weeks yet. In small areas like mine, if you push it too hard early, you'll run them out of the area before they shed.

Thanks.

Old 01-14-2007, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Greg,

Thanks, good to hear you didnt have any troubles in the cold weather. I need to get mine out asap. I may still catch a few big boys packing bone. They are dropping here, the old boys mostly. I hear you. Too many guys here get out way to early and beat the brush pushing the bucks before they drop. Its hard to control here; withlots of public ground, so its a catch 22 for me. I am going out in the morning behind the home bout a 5 mile round trip hike over a mountaininto a southern exposure. Mostly scouting checking routes in the snow but hope to run across a fresh shed or two.

Elk really get pushed hard in late March and often guys run bulls all over the country in competetion to pick up their sheds. Its getting so bad guys fight over shed hunting areas more than hunting areas... Sheds are big business out west, not sure about back in your neck of the woods.A fresh whitetail shed here has broughtup to 25 $ a pound.... The going rate now is about 16 $/lb for fresh bone on whitetails and 9-10 for elk.

Take care, good luck scouting and shed hunting. I've always meant to ask you if you've killed any bucks you had their sheds too? You probably answered this before, but I missed it. thanks..

Troy
Old 01-14-2007, 08:46 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: shed33

Greg,

Thanks, good to hear you didnt have any troubles in the cold weather. I need to get mine out asap. I may still catch a few big boys packing bone. They are dropping here, the old boys mostly. I hear you. Too many guys here get out way to early and beat the brush pushing the bucks before they drop. Its hard to control here; withlots of public ground, so its a catch 22 for me. I am going out in the morning behind the home bout a 5 mile round trip hike over a mountaininto a southern exposure. Mostly scouting checking routes in the snow but hope to run across a fresh shed or two.

Elk really get pushed hard in late March and often guys run bulls all over the country in competetion to pick up their sheds. Its getting so bad guys fight over shed hunting areas more than hunting areas... Sheds are big business out west, not sure about back in your neck of the woods.A fresh whitetail shed here has broughtup to 25 $ a pound.... The going rate now is about 16 $/lb for fresh bone on whitetails and 9-10 for elk.

Take care, good luck scouting and shed hunting. I've always meant to ask you if you've killed any bucks you had their sheds too? You probably answered this before, but I missed it. thanks..

Troy
Are you kidding? I've never heard of this. Everybody I know, throws them in a pile in their garage or basement. Who buys them and what are they used for?

I have one buck with a couple of his sheds.

Greg
Old 01-14-2007, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

good lookin setup