Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Your chance to offer input

Old 01-13-2007, 01:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Your chance to offer input

As many of you know, I'm a big Predator camo wearer... and it's always bugged me about having mis-matched camo pieces on some of my other accessories I take into the woods with me (from purely an aesthetic point of view).

I'm having Jeff at Gray Wolf Woolens make me some belts with the Fall Gray sewn in to replace my Mossy Oak on my split leather belts, and he's also going to make me a fanny pack. I had Predator send me one in Deception, but the smallest one they had available was larger and more complex than I want... it's more like a support belt that OSHA would make a laborer wear. I'm sure it's gonna be great for my elk trip this fall, but I'm thinking something simple for treestand hunting -- something moreso just to carry my essentials with me: grunt tube, rattle bag, couple screw-in accessory hooks, Kwikee quiver holder, pull-up rope, etc.

Ok, here's where I need your help. I was going to go with a simple, one-compartment design... then Jeff threw me a loop and asked how I wanted it designed. (Plus, this way I can have it made in one of the "classic" Predator patterns -- probably Fall Gray.)

What features can you suggest or would love to see on a custom fanny pack? Thanks guys!
Old 01-13-2007, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Your chance to offer input

Greg/Mo, before I give my suggestions are you carrying a backpack along or going with just the fanny pack on your elk hunt?

Duh, nevermind. Just reread and you want it for treestand hunting. Thats what I get for speedreading.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:21 PM
Typical Buck

Built in Cup Holder
just jokin, I don't know right off hand but I will try to brainstorm.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

So many ideas are running though my mind yet hard to explane in detail ... but heres goes anyway.
If I was to design a " fanny pack " I would have one large pouch in the center and one medium pouch on each side with smaller pockets on top of the mediums.
Of course all pouches and pockets would have silent zippers and I would put some type of attachment for a water bottle and a couple rings , loops or clips sewn into it between the pouches.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:44 PM
Banned

Let's see; treestand fannypack features......
1. A holster of some kind to hold a tree mounted screw in type bowholder in case the bowholder on my stand doesn't work due to a treebranchor so that I can use this screw in hook to hang items like antlers, binocs, etc. instead of taking up room in a pouch and putting holes in my pouch.
2. A rangefinder/ small binoc compartment.
3. grunt tube/can call pocket
4. Large pocket for full face cold weatherheadgear, extra gloves.
5. small pocket for disposeable handwarmers so that this is never opened until needed as the packaging makes noise. A small compass and some waterproof matches could go in here too. Candy bar with noisy wrappercould go in here too.
6. pocket for knife, writing pen for deer tag date of kill, tag, and license

From what I hear and read, it is tough to beat a badlands pack. Here is their fanny pack, has 7 compartments I believe. Guys rave about the badland pack. It might be cheaper and a better product by just getting theirs and having Jeff sew predator over it.
http://www.badlandspacks.com/packs.php
Old 01-13-2007, 01:53 PM

I think 3 compartments would be sufficient. A large one and one on each side, a little smaller than the large one. I honestly don't think you need a compartment for every single item that you carry. There is no reason that your grunt call and range finder could not go in the same compartment. Maybe some straps on the outside to strap down a coat if its warm and gets cold or vise versa.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's a few

1) I'd like to have some sort of loops or something that I can take off a layer of clothing, roll it up and have some place to tie it to the fanny pack. This would be great for when the day warms up, or dressing light for the walk in. Also when you get all heated up dragging one out.

2)A hard lined, protectivepocket for an extra broadhead or two, cell phone, digital camera, etc... Just some place to put fragile or sharp items in.

Old 01-13-2007, 01:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

ash2042 must type faster
Old 01-13-2007, 02:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

I just posted about this in the pet peeve equipment thread.

I like many pockets in my fanny pack. I would love to find a "turkey hunter" style fanny pack but designed for the bowhunter, but like you mentioned without the massive "back support" belt.

I would like 1 large main pocket with a pocket on each side that would be sized to hold a range finder and camera. Then 1 more pocket on each side of those sized for a can call or so. Also, adding a zipper to the front of a few of those pockets to hold some smaller things such as a powder windicator, small compass, keysetc etc....

BTW, I would want no velcro on my "dream pack"

Here is a paint shop of what I would like. Hit me with a PM and let me know what you are having made and what it would cost as obviously I am in the market for a new fanny pack.

*EDIT* those horizontal lines on the pockets would be the zippers I was referring to.

Old 01-13-2007, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would like to see another clasp or buckle at the pack end as I usually carry mine in the front so I can strap my climber on my back with no interference. Sometimes it's difficult to turn it to the front after clipping it & it's tough to clip it in the back...... if that makes any sense.

Quick Reply: Your chance to offer input

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.