Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Your chance to offer input

Old 01-13-2007, 05:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Your chance to offer input

Thanks to all who've offered input so far... and, yes -- that does make sense, lifesadrag. I picked up a good little tip from Matt/PA whom I invited in to hunt with me this year... Like you, I had always put my fanny pack on and spun it around to my front and hoisted my stand on my back. I watched Matt put his around his stand and cinch it up tight, then throw it on... It was one of those simultaneous "aha" and "duh"moments. [8D]
Old 01-13-2007, 06:06 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

Thanks to all who've offered input so far... and, yes -- that does make sense, lifesadrag. I picked up a good little tip from Matt/PA whom I invited in to hunt with me this year... Like you, I had always put my fanny pack on and spun it around to my front and hoisted my stand on my back. I watched Matt put his around his stand and cinch it up tight, then throw it on... It was one of those simultaneous "aha" and "duh"moments. [8D]
I have always done that too. Otherwise when I wear a fanny pack around my waist the stand is always pushing on it and pulling my pants down.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:42 PM

Only thing I can really think of is putting one of those buddy lok waterbottles on your fanny pak. I dont know if you know what I'm talking about but its hasboth male and female adapters that you can snap in and out very easily for those long hikes to and from stands.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Greg,

I wear a vest that has all the various pockets on the front. I like this even more than a fanny pack, simply because it's more accessible. I carry my mouth calls in the small pockets, along with things like my compass, gps, small binos,etc. Everything is front and center...I've tried fanny packs and I hate them (I have no butt and they end up around my ankles)! If you care, I'll send you a photo of what I wear. It's easy to take on and off in a tree stand situation.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

looks like most of the things i thought of were already brought up. Im sure it will be a dandy and would like o see some pics when it is done. Good luck with it Greg!!
Dan
Old 01-13-2007, 08:42 PM
Typical Buck

Hey Greg. I brought a fanny pack this year that was on sale and i love it. It has a detachable compartment for you calls, sprays, range finder and such, this hangs on the tree, the fanny pack it self has one big compartment and one side pocket, if you want me to send you a pic, just holla
Old 01-13-2007, 09:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

all the clips like the police have, and maybe some soft side qviver
Old 01-13-2007, 10:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Appreciate the offer, huckleberry...

I understand what you're saying (even sounds a bit like the Primos bowhunting vest), but I'm sort of a minimalist when it comes to wearing stuff on stand; it's the only reason I've never bought that vest yet. I just use my fanny pack to carry my essentials with me and then I take it off and hang it on an accessory hook I screw in at stand level.
Old 01-14-2007, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah Greg,

I think our situations are a lot different. I spend very little timeon stand-just the nature of elk hunting and the stlye of hunting I prefer. I tend to cover a lot of ground spotting and stalking. I actually sent Chuck Pensyl one of my vesthoping to have one madefrom the Enigma pattern (the two I have are made by Columbia). For me, the "front and center" aspect of my gear is the most important. One the other hand, our temps are much cooler than yours. I could see how a vest might not be the answer in your neck of the woods.

One thing you might consider (I had one sewn into my vest) is a clipon which you can hang your bow. I use mine while walking and it helps to elimate arm fatigue.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

My ultimate fanny pack would have suspenders and the suspenders would have stretchy little loop things for holding my calls and whatnot. I HATE strings around my neck and pants that fall down due to fanny pack weight.

Quick Reply: Your chance to offer input

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.