Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mother in law is gonna buy me a new bow

Old 01-13-2007, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mother in law is gonna buy me a new bow

If I were you, I'd take the $450 and use it to put down, along with more money, to buy a top-of-the-line rig like one of the better Hoyts, Mathews or BowTechs. There really is a difference with the top shelf rigs and you'll regret not buying one once you learn the shooting basics. Besides, learn with the best and you won't have to worry about learning to shoot the rig after you trade off the cheaper one.

Good luck and good shootin'
Old 01-13-2007, 12:30 PM

Thanks for the help guys. I'm gonna be cautious about buying my bow. Before I started thinking ofgetting intobowhunting, I never really thought about the fundamentals a compound bows. When I get my new bow I will try to get a picture of it and show it off to you guys. Thanks.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would be careful about what your mother in law gets you , she might know about the life insurance policey your wife has on you.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:55 AM

I completely dissagree about getting an expensive top of the line bow for hunting or for your first bow. There really have been no major technology advances recently in archery. There have been some minor ones, but nothing revolutionary or really anything you can prove is better.

If you have the money, or your sponsor is getting your bow for you feel free to shoot the most expensive newest gadget on the market. However if you are on a budget you certainly don't need it to kill deer, or win trophies for that matter. There is not a whole lot of difference between some 400 dollar bows and some 800 dollar bows. In some cases there is virtually no difference.

I have a 2000 darton yukon I paid 350 dollars for. With the right stabilizer, limb savers and yarn puff balls it is as quiet if not more quiet than some 1000 dollar bows I have shot next too. Really wasn't any less accurate either. I had less into my whole rig than some have into a bare bow.

If you are going to buy a hoyt my suggestion would be to get a cheaper model, or a reflex and spend the extra money on good strings, a quality rest and really good arrows. Same goes for a mathews. Bowtechs have really great factory strings on them though, at least mine did. And it was only a 500 dollar Mighty Might. Now you can get the same bow from Diamond. I wouldn't suggest it for a first bow though, it is kind of small.

Heck, you might be better off getting a $200 bow and spending the rest on lessons! Having a $2000 dollar rig is not going to do you any good if you suck and don't have a clue what to do with it.

Just my opinions any way.

Paul