Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Off Season Scouting

Old 01-12-2007, 01:49 PM

Default RE: Off Season Scouting

ORIGINAL: Germ

Eberhart had a DVD coming out, I read you were reading his book. He hunts north of me about 2 hrs.
I have read Pressured.......and am now reading Precision. The DVD is actually a 3 piece set I think. I wanted to be sure it wasn't just the book repeated in the first one before ordering it. I like them. Very grounded in the "real" world IMO.

I take it you are going to try and shoot some thing a little older next year?

Well if so good luck!!!
I will if I see him before he sees me No changes here.........I do think that scouting is an area I need to improve on though.......that, and not letting the deer know they are being hunted. I always see more deer in early season.........which makes me think I need to be more stealthy in my entrance and exit strategies.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:56 PM

ORIGINAL: Germ

Couplemore things, remember you have to find a way in and out that you will not disturb the deer. This is no 1 in my book. You can have a great spot, but if you can not get into itand hunt it, well it is pretty worthless IMO.
You read my mind (see earlier reply)

Look for a Primary scrape area, this will be in the woods and is a mature bucks home range. You will see 3-4 scrapes in kindoff a circle. Then I look fora bedding area inthe area. Find a funnel between the too and look out!!
From the books I read I'm sure you know I am familiar with this method. How far apart do you look for the bedding area once you found the primary scrapes?? I had what I considered a primary scrape area this year but hunting it turned out to be a dud............I think I blew the call on the bedding area.

Note Scrapes on the edge of fields are worthless IMO. A mature buck lives and works in cover!!
Agreed..........I saw a couple bucks work field edge scrapes 2 years ago in daylight hours and was surprised.........usually they are worth bubkis.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

From the books I read I'm sure you know I am familiar with this method. How far apart do you look for the bedding area once you found the primary scrapes?? I had what I considered a primary scrape area this year but hunting it turned out to be a dud............I think I blew the call on the bedding area.
I do not think there is a "standard distance" In 1 spot I am right in the bedding area, because I can get in and out. My other spot I am 25 yds from each, but this is the best spot. Here it is, bedding area is to the right. The PSA(Primary Scrape Area) is down the gull about 25 yds.

This one is now sandwich between two bedding areas now. We planted a huge CRP Field which is behind me.

Old 01-12-2007, 02:52 PM
Bartender

This year sneaking in and out of my stand and the wind were the biggest issues for me.
I finally have a stand where if a wind is a certain way I wont have to worry about swirling winds.
Every other stand no matter what on this 35 acres swirls.
Also between now and march I will check things out again put new stands up and after that stay out until
august and try to do some trimming.
Old 01-12-2007, 03:04 PM
Bartender

Ok I am posting aerial of my spot. The stands are in red and yellow is my way in. The one in the southwest corner drives me nut because of the winds and because they bed in the woods and in the southwest corner.
The stand to the east is where I got my biggest buck so far this past fall and yellow is my way in. Now I take that way with the corn standing. On Jan 5th the corn was down and on my way in I got bust for out in the X area that looks like a swamp. I think its the weird green color is what the buck took to me from when I first saw him. White line is property line and the reason I chose this stand closer to the farm is it seems the deer like to come by that stand and bed on the other property in the southeast corner. I have new ideas for next season and if you have any feel free to add. Thanks

Old 01-12-2007, 03:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Peak why not enter the furthers S stand from the line I drew? Only hunt it on a NE or Ewind. Sneak behind the deer, I would get in there early, at least two hours before sun rise.

Old 01-12-2007, 03:10 PM
Bartender

rest of property

Old 01-12-2007, 03:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

I like the spot with the X top left of the last picture, Oh man I like it!!
Old 01-12-2007, 03:14 PM
Site Buck Guru

It looks like the stand is good for a SW wind and maybe a NE. Germ's way looks good for the NE wind.
Old 01-12-2007, 03:15 PM
Bartender

Thats not a bad idea but I know no matter what I will bump deer
and trying to get there in the dark is a challange.
Where you start to go in from the highway you marked to the south
they bed big time. Heck they bed all over that property.
Its one of those damned if I do damned if i dont. But the 2 hours ahead
might just work. I only wear my boots when hunting so hopefully that wont be a issue. You know my uncle likes to take the catapiller out and play I might just ask him to make me a trail to it?

Quick Reply: Off Season Scouting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.