Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

To hunt sign, or not to hunt sign, this is the question.

Old 01-14-2007, 10:31 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: To hunt sign, or not to hunt sign, this is the question.

As I said, I think that when they use these same thickets etc on a daily basis, it's because of pressure. I didn't say don't hunt them. I do it all the time. I also look for other areas. The bucks more than likely aren't hanging with the does in early season. If you hunt in the areas the does are you probably won't see the big guys early in the year. The area Len and I used to hunt had4 mainbedding areas in a couple hundred acres. These deer where hunted by us and people around us for several years. Then two years ago the neighbors moved right into the bedding area the deer all went to when the season started. The wind was usually against them. Our deer sightings in that woods dropped off to a shadow of what they used to be. The deer moved out to a bedding area completely out of our woods and theirs. Pressure will move them. If those people had only hunted the area in the evening with the right wind, we'd all been all right. Without pressure they plop/nap/ and browse in a whole lot larger area.We'd see the same deer bed here today and in the finger tomorrow, back here a couple days later.
Old 01-14-2007, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great posts David and GERM. For the young person or someone new to Bowhunting paying attention, You gave them imformation that would take years to learn on their own!!!
Old 01-15-2007, 06:34 AM
Dominant Buck

If you're hunting in Sept or early Oct and want to shoot a buck, they aren't going to be with the does.
I shot my first buck of '07 on 9/30.....when he was hanging out with 25-30 other deer (mostly does). I know there's always an exception to the rule.....and I gues where I hunt.....it's the exception. I also know that the deer I hunt have a large area in which to consider their sanctuary. They also venture outside that sanctuary......and when they do.....they all come out in pretty much a limited array of routes.

I KNOW there's bucks out there that I never saw (even though I sat 46 times). I also know that I never had a hunt that I saw more bucks than does.....or...ONLY bucks. It didn't happen.

My hunting area is also pretty "sign-rich" (due to the small-ish size of the area I hunt). With the deer pop. I have.....the amt. of sign is going to be high. There's not too many areas I can set up ....where a rub isn't evident, somewhere. It's NOT why I chose the area, though. It's a bi-product.

My area is unique (I think). I ONLY know my area. These guys are giving you great advice.

Old 01-15-2007, 07:40 AM
Dominant Buck

I shot my first buck of '07 on 9/30.....when he was hanging out with 25-30 other deer (mostly does).
When you have an overpopulation problem all sorts of deer coexist.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

this is where your trail camera would come in big handy to set up over the sign to see when they are visiting but i am with rob by following the ladies