Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Help; I need a great book on bowhunting mature whitetails!!

Old 01-12-2007, 10:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Help; I need a great book on bowhunting mature whitetails!!

That is a good idea to read up on this stuff HCH, I am going to look and see if there is anything on stalking them. As, that is how I preffer to hunt the whitetails here. I have shot four deer with my bow but, only one small buck and that was this year. I was fortunate enough to see a couple of big deer here during rifle season but, my tag was filled already. So I am hoping to nail a monster next season. Good Luck and hoping a speedy recovery to you.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:21 AM

Well, looks like I'll be doing alot of readingthis off season.

Hey, just curious: John Trout, I've seen that name before... which makes me wonder: Is he like an industry icon, and would anyone recommend his books over anybody else's? Not to knock Germ's buddy or anything like that.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hard, I have an older book from the early 90's "bowhuntings whitetail masters" You ever read that? It covers every type of habitat across the country and features a different successful bowhunter from each region. All these guys bowhunt and kill maturebucks.

Best book I have read in a long time is Jeff Millers new one on "big woods whitetails" but I don't know if that would interest you or apply to your hunting area.

Anything from the Wensels.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:58 AM

Hunting Trophy Whitetails in the Real World

http://www.higginsoutdoors.com/

Best of luck with your ankle. Being new to bowhunting I have found this book very interesting.

Randy
Old 01-12-2007, 12:30 PM

PM me your address and I will send you some books to read...

Old 01-12-2007, 12:32 PM
Dominant Buck

I bought Joe Brooks' book from Amazon.com

Rob/PA's got it right now....and you're welcome to it when he finishes with it.

Preadtor sucks (just kidding....just kidding....)
Old 01-12-2007, 01:34 PM
Banned

Thanks DC, GT, and others for the offer. I won't put you out but thanks!!! I talked with Germs buddy for quite awhile today and went ahead and ordered his book. He is not in any retail stores right now except for Cabelas in Dundee,MI. He hopes to be in the Barnes and Noble and other book stores in the next couple of weeks.He sounds like a knowledgeable guy and was quite personable to B.S. with.The Wenzels come to the IA deer classic often and speak and put on seminars but I have never sat in on one.They actually moved from Montana to IA simply for the whitetail hunting our state offers. My wife is going to stop by Barnes and Noble and see if she can get one of their books. You can never learn or knowtoo much about deer hunting mature whitetails andI have plenty of time on my hands. It gets old watching 5 minutes of hunting on these hunting shows and 25 minutes of advertising. I watched American Archer yesterday and the entire show was an infomercial for scentlok.[:@]
Old 01-12-2007, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator

Greg/Mo and others highly recommend this book, I think I will be reading it soon myself. The author(Don Higgins) visits this website once in a while. He has taken some tremendous midwest whitetail bucks.

Old 01-12-2007, 02:04 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: Cougar Mag

Greg/Mo and others highly recommend this book, I think I will be reading it soon myself. The author(Don Higgins) visits this website once in a while. He has taken some tremendous midwest whitetail bucks.
Can this be bought at a bookstore??
Old 01-12-2007, 03:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Don, I'm not sure.... but he mails out pretty quickly and if you order it through his site, he'll personally autograph it for you... It's definitely a good book, and he used to post on here until like most "celebs" (he's been published in every bowhunting mag conceivable and is very much considered an expert on mature deer), he decided the flak wasn't worth it.

Quick Reply: Help; I need a great book on bowhunting mature whitetails!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.