Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is it not about how it's done, but rather how you LOOK doing it????

Old 01-11-2007, 08:29 PM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: Is it not about how it's done, but rather how you LOOK doing it????

I have a theory that goes like this.

I've been reading and watching tv shows about hunting whitetails for over 40 years. I must have read thousands of articles about the "rut". I still continue to read them, here's why. If I read 10 articles about the same thing, there is a chance that the way a particular author has worded his article that will make something click for me. Even though the 9 other authors have basically said the same thing. It's hard to explain, anyone know what I'm talking about?
Old 01-11-2007, 08:35 PM

I dont have access to alot of property and have been hunting the family farm alone for the past seven years and there is not a ton of acerage. After hunting the same property year after year the deer have become very predictable to where i know all the trails in the area and where they go to and why the use them. Basically i set up 5 treestands and cover the areas where deer move through the most and wait for the rut. Hunt the does and find bucks.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:35 PM

MOTOWN, that is PRECISELY the information I, for one, am looking for. Thanks!!
Old 01-11-2007, 08:37 PM

I would like to ask a question of the guys that hunt woods and ridges.
Probably the worst thing I do each year, is loose track of the deer in the woods when the acorns dry up. Sightings drop drastically and I'll be the first to admit I don't know squat about PREFERED BROWSE.
I always hang stands based on early season acorns, usually on side hill trailson the down wind side or ridge tops. What's my next clue besides bedding areas? And they seem to fluctuate too I think because of the food.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:39 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

Have you ever noticed when a buck is following a doe that isn't ready? She walks five steps, he walks five steps. She will take him out into the open, across fields, places that you normally wouldn't expect to see a muture buck at. She is annoyed by his presence but he isnt going to leave until she lets him do the deed. I watched this behavior over the years and started to see patterns that repeted themselves. As we all know when the buck is following a doe like this he is at his most vulnerable state. Shes not running from him anymore because nature has told her its about time but she isn't comfrotable with him constantly trailing her. What I have noticed is that when she gets tired and needs to bed down as in a last ditch effort to shake him she will head to the very tip of a field edge, or a finger that goes out and jettys into a crop field. Much like the cover you would hunt for quail in. Have you ever walked to your stand down a fence row where the woods start to begin only to jump a buck laying with a doe? I started hanging stands in these type areas and low and behold I'm onto something. I only go to these stands whenI know bucks are on the does, because frankly it is a super boring spot to hunt. I'm telling you if you put yourself in a stratigic spot in that finger and play the wind, mid-day she will bring him to you. Four mature bucks have meet my broadheads using this setup. I have different early and late season tactics I use to place stands if your interested. When the bucks are following try this setup, you will see what I am talking about. chris
Motownhonkey,
Great post. I have seen this for myself. The buck almost looks pissed for her bringing him out into the open like that. He probably is, but he has something else on his mind that is more important. You have also hit the nail on the head about some of these places being super boring. I've been in several fence row stands where I've been bored to unconscienceness. Only to go from 0 to 100 mph in a milisecond when they finally show up. Then its the coolest spot to hunt!
Old 01-11-2007, 08:40 PM

buckeye, are you sayin' you want to hear more about function and less about fashion? fyi - I look great in my Nat Gear
Old 01-11-2007, 08:41 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: GregH

I've been reading and watching tv shows about hunting whitetails for over 40 years. I must have read thousands of articles about the "rut". I still continue to read them, here's why. If I read 10 articles about the same thing, there is a chance that the way a particular author has worded his article that will make something click for me. Even though the 9 other authors have basically said the same thing. It's hard to explain, anyone know what I'm talking about?
Yep...I know exactly what your talking about. I used to be a golf instructor. Sometimes I would have to tell the same person the same thing five different ways for them to understand. Then it just clicks.

I do exactly the same thing...read 10 articles on the same topic...then I finally get it.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

MOTOWN, that is PRECISELY the information I, for one, am looking for. Thanks!!

Your welcome.

Quote:

Motownhonkey,
Great post. I have seen this for myself. The buck almost looks pissed for her bringing him out into the open like that. He probably is, but he has something else on his mind that is more important. You have also hit the nail on the head about some of these places being super boring. I've been in several fence row stands where I've been bored to unconscienceness. Only to go from 0 to 100 mph in a milisecond when they finally show up. Then its the coolest spot to hunt!

Thank you Greg. The whole time you there you feel like a fool but sure enough she will bring him. Ofcourse nothing is 100% but it is a tactic worth giving a mid-day try.

Old 01-11-2007, 10:10 PM
Site Bouncer

I love to hunt staging areas and natural funnels, I will take a walk through my prespective hunting area and look for trails, sign, etc.... I am alsolooking for bedding and feeding areas, once located is when I try to find either a staging area or a natural funnel between the two spots. I have found that if there is a field between the two (bedding area and main feeding area) there will almost always be some sort of staging area where the deer seem to hang out before moving across the field. These spots while plentyfull with deer are tough to slip in and out of,andit is a must that you pay very close attention to the wind direction in these spots.

Funnels I have found work very well even if the wind isn't perfect. It's the does I pay attention to, if they are mostly using this funnel then you can bet your a$$ that come the rut they will bring the bucks in tow as well.

I rarely try to pattern a buck. I have done it before but I have found it to be too hit or miss. During the rut they will travel different routes more often than when not rutting. The does on the other hand seem to keep status quo even during the rut. I have had great luck setting up just off ofa highly traveledpath, especially during the peek of the rut.Even if a buck is pushing a doe they will tend to stay close to their normal route and normal feeding/bedding areas. Being in that area will increase you chances of getting a shot at them.

This is another reason why I tend to wait till later in the season shoot does. I don't want them to change their travel routes because someyahoo (me) is in a tree taking shots at them! If the does feel safe in their routes they will continue to use them even during the rut and that's what I want.

This is what I lookfor at least.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:16 PM

ORIGINAL: GregH

I know EXACTLY what you are talking about.....it's all in how it's worded as to whether I understand it or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.