Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

string loop or not

Old 01-13-2007, 09:12 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: string loop or not

ill never shoot without a string loop, there great in the feild....
Old 01-13-2007, 09:53 AM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: Beezer

Right materiel, tied right, meltedand everything, one side of it just slipped. I didn't tie it, someone else did. As a fisherman, I always believe in a small amount of line left on the tie ends so that it has room to settle and slip slightly with pressure so the line tightens on itself before it can slip lose. There was no over tie on it, the melt was as tight to string as possible. I didn't question it because I'm new to bows and he is experienced. Next one I'll tie, and I know what to do to feel safe with my equipment. Besides, I'd rather be solely responsible for a failure than to have to argue someone else's experience and job quality with them. Thanks for the info on the other release though, are they expensive and are theyworth the money? Basically, is the Gator Jaw release a good route to go or is it's usefulness not worth the trouble compared to a string loop and regular release?
Beezer,

I think the Gater Jaw goes for around $40.00 to $50.00 now, I had one way back when (it's still here somewhere) They work fine but put alot or pressure on the serving. A well made string and you will probably have no problem, a cheap string (as most are) and you will most likely see some separation of the serving where the jaws attach. Also it helps to put on two nocks this way the relase will be in the same spot every time.

The jaws are large enough to go over two brass nocks and the arrow and still have a little room. I tied my own nocks back then (as I still do)because I could make them big enough so there was no play between the release and the nocks.

I can't tell you what to do, but I might suggest giving the loop another try, make sure the melted end is glossy, not burnt and large enough that there is no way it will slip.Take a close look at my pics on page two (thanks Madjac20 for posting it) and you will see how it should look.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:05 AM
Fork Horn

I AM A BIG BELIEVER IN A LOOP! I used to shoot with a string release and after making the switch I will never look back.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like my loop
Old 01-13-2007, 11:36 AM

loop
[align=left] [/align]