Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rope to use with ascender and treestand safety?

Old 01-09-2007, 12:59 PM

Default Rope to use with ascender and treestand safety?

In an old post people were talking about using a rock climbing “ascender” for treestand safety. What rope are you using and where do you get it? I don't what to pay for something I don't need. Rock climbing ropes are expesive. Also what type of knot do use to try off to the tree?

Here’s the post
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1307404&mpage=7
Old 01-09-2007, 01:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rope to use with ascender and treestand safety?

Go to www.summitstands.com and select Seat-O-The-Pants Treestand Harneses. Scroll down near the bottom of the page until you see Seat-O-The-Pants climbing system. This should be all you need. There are other things you could get too.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Muddy Fork, I'm not recommending it. But, I personally use the braided camo rope sold by cabelas 3/8ths. It cost @15 bucks for 100ft and has a breaking point of I believe 2400 pounds, but make sure you ask. They sell a few different kinds. I only leave them up during hunting season and only use them fortwo years. I believe they are sensitive to sunlight.

I would recommend at using a good dynamic rope to connect your harness to the tether rope (they stretch up to 35%) and a break away strap on your harness (I think that's what they are called). You need some stretch in the rope/harness should you fall.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:28 AM

Is this the stuff?

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0030002516841a&type=product&cm Cat=search&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=braided+camo+rope+& N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall& Nty=1&Ntt=braided+camo+rope+&noImage=0&amp ;_requestid=21126

Thanks
Old 01-10-2007, 09:45 AM

Nope, I would buy a static rope (no elongation when loaded) from a reputable rock climbing company. YOU DO NOT WANT A ROCK CLIMBING ROPE. They cost alot of money. Static lines is what you are after, which is MUCH cheaper, and doesnt elongate when loaded. Make sure they are CE (Triple Sig) and fat enough for your prussik knot to latch onto.
Ill try to find you a link...
Old 01-10-2007, 09:56 AM

Like this rope?

http://www.northernmountain.com/detail/501878
Old 01-10-2007, 10:00 AM
Fork Horn

Muddy, what size ascender are you using OR what size rope is the ascender rated to?

I sell tree climbing equipment to arborists and the ascenders we use are rated from 8mm up to around 13mm (5/16-1/2"). If you use smaller diameter rope, you might as well not have anything because it could fail on a hard fall.

REMEMBER - THIS IS YOUR LIFE! Why not purchase a quality rope from a reputable source? Sure it is expensive but so is your bow, gun, scope, binocs, etc. Your $1000 gun aint gonna be worth squat to you if your dead from falling out of a tree.

I also sell ropes that professional tree climbers use. They start at 62 cents per foot, 1/2" diameter, and are rated6200 -8,000#. The rule of thumb we go by is 10% working load. That means your 8K rope should not exceed 800 lbs. I know that is still a lot, but at least your safe. As for how long one lasts, this could last you 5+ yrs no more often than you will use it.

I will try in the next couple of days to put together something to show how and what to use if you want to use ascenders or prusik type knots.

BOBCO- 2400 pound rope= 240 pound working load. If you weigh 240 or more, 1 fall would shock load your rope and it could break.

Campo- you do want some strech. No stretch on a fall can lead to other injury.

AND ONE MORE THING- Dont leave your safety ropes up in the tree for extended periods of time. Sun and rain deteriorate ropes quick.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

BOBCO- 2400 pound rope= 240 pound working load. If you weigh 240 or more, 1 fall would shock load your rope and it could break.
I know.

AND ONE MORE THING- Dont leave your safety ropes up in the tree for extended periods of time. Sun and rain deteriorate ropes quick.

I'm not an expert, but doesn't that depend on what the rope is made out of?
Old 01-10-2007, 10:32 AM

ORIGINAL: okietreedude
Campo- you do want some strech. No stretch on a fall can lead to other injury.

Well, okietreedude, that would depend on the fall factor wouldnt it? It would also depend on elongation. I would say no, you dont want a dynamic system, mostly because we are dealing with short distances, and, if you set things up right, short falls dont mean you HAVE to have a dynamic system. In all likelyhood, the full body harness has a dynamic system sewed into the strap that connects the hunter to the tree, which would make up for any shock felt when. When the hunter falls, stitches tear, which eliminates shock. This is similar to the screamer system which is sewn into some runners to reduce shock on anchors.
Muddy Fork, that is the kind of rope you want, but if you actually GO to the store, you can buy short segments, which are much cheaper. Also, if you go to www.rei.com or www.mgear.com you can order short pieces cut to your specification.
Also, make SURE you know about anchors, fall factors, and how to use the equipement you are using before you start shimmying up and down trees. All it takes is one mistake and you could be dead.
So...be careful.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:50 AM
Dominant Buck

I paid $89.00 for a 3-pack of the Summit systems. After everything is said and done.....(shipping on different ropes....time....etc...) does this really sound expensive?? I may need more in the future...and I was just wondering.

Quick Reply: Rope to use with ascender and treestand safety?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.