Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

String Loop (so as not to hijack)

Old 01-09-2007, 02:38 PM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: String Loop (so as not to hijack)

BigJ12,
Did you do that your huge fingers or did you use a tweezers??!!
Old 01-09-2007, 02:39 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

BobCo19-65

I'm not sure if you drew that or just copied it from somewhere but the drawing is not correct. The ends need to be tied in opposite directions so the melted ends end up on either side of the string, see my photos on page one.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:55 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: GregH

BigJ12,
Did you do that your huge fingers or did you use a tweezers??!!
Tell me about it!!!

It takes me a couple of tries to get the second knot and I usually have to push the melted end through. Once it's tied there is absolutely no room, the loop material is laying against the string. only afterI start to pry with the needle nose pliers does it take shape. After it's tight I put on an arrow, point it down range and pull to right before the let off so I have a full 70lbs pulling against the loop. I hold it there for a while and it makes it tight as can be.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:24 PM
Dominant Buck

YUP, BobCo, your drawing is what I was referring to when I said tie the ends around the string in opposite directions. Your drawing is wrong. BigJ is right on with the needle nose pliers to stretch the loop out.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have been tying mine myself for awhile and i like em close also But i did not know that some tie there own nocks instead of using the krimp ones, any advantages? nice pics!!
Dan
Old 01-09-2007, 08:25 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: bloodcreek

I have been tying mine myself for awhile and i like em close also But i did not know that some tie there own nocks instead of using the krimp ones, any advantages? nice pics!!
Dan
Bloodcreek,

I like to tie my ownnocks instead of the brass onesbecauseI like to have anock both above and below the arrow. I like this because when I draw, I am drawing directly behind the arrow. If I were to only have one nock and the arrow sat between that andone of the loop knots, when you draw you will notice that the release is not directly behind the arrow, it will be slightly above or below depending on what side you have the nock on.

Also with two nocks there is no way your loop can slip up (or down) the string. The loop is held in place by the nocks. There is also no way the knots of the loop can pinch the arrow when the nock sets are in place.

So for me I always shoot with two nocks on my string butwith two brass nocks the string gets a little heavyright in the spot you don't want it to be, it's also a little harder for me to tie a nice small string loop over two brass nocks and, to me at least, theylook a whole lot better than two brass nocks.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:40 PM
Typical Buck

Same here. The guys at the pro shop seem to just not want to tie them close. Could never figure that one out. I just started tieing my own. I like them as close as possible. Just barely enough to get my release on.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great posts, and no one evean got into a scrap!!!
Old 01-10-2007, 05:53 AM

the "Pro" that tied mine on did it with both melted ends on the same side and no nocks at all , tied or brass.
I like the looks of the tied on nocks.

Thanks!
Old 01-10-2007, 06:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Have not tied one in years. But I used to use that knot in the past with out a problem. Also melted down the ends as mention and pulled it tight with needle nose.

But if there is a better way, I do believe.