Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Taboo???

Old 01-09-2007, 09:22 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Taboo???

In NC....we don't have a turkey season that runs concurrently with a deer season. Therefore.....there's no chance you could be deer hunting from your treestand and have a turkey come by and legally take it. We have (in select counties) a winter "either-sex" season.....but all deer seasons are "out" when this occurs.

So.....around "here"....it's taboo to hunt turkeys from a treestand. I didn't say people here were "right"....."above" anyone ....or any of the like. I said it was taboo. People "here" have the mindset that this accomplishment (the taking of a turkey) is somehow "lessened" since the hunter was: 1) likely not hunting turkey as his primary prey and 2) was in a treestand.

I don't have a stance. I think hitting a turkey with an arrow is a feat! I also see where the purists who think they should be taken from the ground could have their stance.

Baiting is legal in NC.....and there are those who feel that practice is taboo. I can understand that, too.

I didn't start this thread to debate ANY topics. I did so as to not hijack a thread that was already started. I'd just like to hear some of the things (regional, national, local) that people fell are "taboo" re: hunting. No explanations needed.....unless you want to. No rebuttals required, either.

This COULD be fun.....and funny.....to see how different we all are.

Thanks.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Taboo???

Taboo or not, if I have a nice gobbler walk under me and I have a tag in my pocket for him and it's legal, I am letting the air out of him every time. I like turkey meat too much to let them walk, and also you ever try and draw on a turkey out of a tree? Not as easy as you think.......
Old 01-09-2007, 09:31 AM

i actually have never shot a turkey out of a tree stand, i've got plenty fromt eh ground, every time i try and draw on one from a stand i get busted. Turkeys are always looking up... many predators come fromt eh skies...i would almost say it is harder to get one from a stand.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:35 AM
Typical Buck

Here the fall turkey season runs concurrently with the archery deer season. One of my goals afew years ago was to take a gobbler with my bow. I had been seeing a bachelor group of toms roosting on this one hillside. I set up on those things (in tree stand, as I still had a deer and bear tag to fill) and got busted every single time. I moved stand locations to try to get them earlier/later, you name it...I couldn't get a shot at them.

As far as taking them from the tree, I consider taking a turkey with a bow a feat...probably harder from a tree stand as opposed to a ground blind. I finally got my first gobbler with the bow this year...I was on the ground walking to my tree stand.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Taboo in my area includes:

Shooting a doe with fawns.
Shooting a buck thats not a wall hanger.
Shooting a roosted gobbler after 7am. Its legal after 7am, and very difficult, but extremely frowned upon.

All are legal, but the local know-it-alls look down on all of the above, unless its them doing it.[&:]
Old 01-09-2007, 09:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

In NC....we don't have a turkey season that runs concurrently with a deer season. Therefore.....there's no chance you could be deer hunting from your treestand and have a turkey come by and legally take it. We have (in select counties) a winter "either-sex" season.....but all deer seasons are "out" when this occurs.

So.....around "here"....it's taboo to hunt turkeys from a treestand. I didn't say people here were "right"....."above" anyone ....or any of the like. I said it was taboo. People "here" have the mindset that this accomplishment (the taking of a turkey) is somehow "lessened" since the hunter was: 1) likely not hunting turkey as his primary prey and 2) was in a treestand.

I don't have a stance. I think hitting a turkey with an arrow is a feat! I also see where the purists who think they should be taken from the ground could have their stance.

Baiting is legal in NC.....and there are those who feel that practice is taboo. I can understand that, too.

I didn't start this thread to debate ANY topics. I did so as to not hijack a thread that was already started. I'd just like to hear some of the things (regional, national, local) that people fell are "taboo" re: hunting. No explanations needed.....unless you want to. No rebuttals required, either.

This COULD be fun.....and funny.....to see how different we all are.

Thanks.
Isn't the main reason turkey and deer season don't run together in NC because you can bait deer but can't bait turkey? And they are afraid you'll pop a turkey over a corn pile if they allow them to run together?

Old 01-09-2007, 09:40 AM

NC is all screwed up anyway. We are one of eleven states that wont allow hunting on Sunday. They put it to a vote and 48% were still in favor of the restriction. What the H is that all about.(Just my rant) Hunting turkey out of a tree stand is no different than sitting in a ground blind. It's probablly a little harder getting drawing back in the tree than in a blind.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:57 AM
Fork Horn

Taking a Turkey out of a tree stand is very difficult. I have done it 4 times but it's very hard to do. They can see you flinch from a long ways away.
It's easier to take them from the ground then it is a tree.

MC
Old 01-09-2007, 10:14 AM

I can guarantee it would be harder from a tree than from a ground blind.... These double bull blinds are changing the way turkey hunting is done.... I hate to see it happen.... Just seems under handed to me....
Old 01-09-2007, 10:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Last year I was hunting from the ground in Pa..Deer and turkey (either sex)are in at the same time in the fall season. I had a Turkey, just before dark roost in a tree above me. I had a clear shot and could have easily made the shot. Now even though it's illeagal to shoot a roosted bird..No one would ever know right?? Wrong..I would have known ..and walked away. <Sigh>

I could also tell a tale of the time I was in Texas and shot 3 hens (on purpose) with 1 shot from a shot-gun. It was on an outfitted hunt and the rancher wanted young hens specifically for camp food.I know..I wouldn't believe you either if you told me this..but I was swear it's the truth!

I literally had to hold out for only 3 hens in the same sight picture..I pulled up several times only to have jakes or Gobblers or too many hens in the way..

Quick Reply: Taboo???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.