Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Taboo???

Old 01-09-2007, 11:10 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Taboo???

farm....you likely have a point (re: baiting deer and not turkeys).

I never mentioned any differences re: blind/no blind when hunting from the ground. I would assume that ANYTIME you can be concealed from your prey it would stand to reason it would be easier to get a bow drawn. That point is conceded.

I have turkeys come by my stand....I woud venture a guess....about 65-70% of the time when I deer hunt. I can only speak for MY area I hunt....but they don't seem too interested in "up" in my woods. I can't speak for any other areas.

I'm not diminishing the accomplishmnets of anyone who's taken one from a treestand. I'm not.

Old 01-09-2007, 11:26 AM

Well, I have killed several turkeys in my hunting career. They all have been from the ground (shotgun and rifle) except for this old girl. I got her mid November last year from about 20' up with my bow. She came in with about 10 other hens mixed with a couple jakes. Va's turkey season runs with the deer season up to a certain point.

I feel like it was a piece of cake. I know every situation is different but I feel this is alot easier being done from a tree instead of the ground, especially since I don't own/hunt from a groundblind.

Just because a turkey(s) responds to your calls does not mean it will come the way you want it to. There is luck involved just as it is with anything else.

Old 01-09-2007, 11:58 AM

I consider it taboo to shoot anything you don't intend to eat, unless it intends to eat you.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

MI
Winning Bowl Games and Beating Ohio State[8D]
Firing Matt Millen
Old 01-09-2007, 12:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

I consider it taboo to shoot anything you don't intend to eat, unless it intends to eat you.
LOL!

I've been fortunate enough to take several turkeys from my treestand, and will do so at every opportunity. Those opportunities can be slim, though as I believe they're especially tough to kill from above. I think turkeys are just as wary about skyborn threats as they are in any other direction. I've seen flocks turn directions after seeing movement from several hundred yards away.

All I've got to say is I would love to have some of those turkeys around MO and IL that you've got there in NC... We'd be eating fried turkey all the time!!
Old 01-09-2007, 12:17 PM
Dominant Buck

Greg:

Sad part is we don't even have a Winter OR "either sex" season in my county. When I called the NCWRC to speak t the biologist about it......he told me the "open" counties (for Winter seasons) were determined based on the harvest reports, SOLELY. It doesn't matter, to them, how many birds I have around me. They base whether or not to open my county for the Winter "either-sex" season SOLELY on the number of birds harvested and reported in my county. The fact that NOT MANY birds are being taken from our county HURTS us (if you're wanting them to open it to the Winter season).

It's ludicrous. We have LOTS of birds......FEW hunters.

Old 01-09-2007, 12:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

That's too bad, Jeff... not only are they great eating, they make excellent decoration for your home office...

Old 01-09-2007, 12:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

That's too bad, Jeff... not only are they great eating, they make excellent decoration for your home office...

Greg is that a "Hunting for Dummies" book on the second to last shelf

Taboo in MI is still shooting a doe in some area's, Sad I know!!
Old 01-09-2007, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shooting a deer below the road is Taboo in Wyoming.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can't see any good reason why itwould be taboo,especially the ones you mentioned. Sounds ridiculous to me

Quick Reply: Taboo???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.