Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New bow; Form.

Old 01-09-2007, 01:12 PM

Default RE: New bow; Form.

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Oh Rick......you're preacing to the choir!!....lol

I used to be a PGA teaching professional. I've seen and heard it ALL. The advice you gave, above, is SPOT ON!
In that case: How do I fix my slice?

I really don't slice the ball, but it seems like everyone else has that problem.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:25 PM
Typical Buck

I can't comment on the form, because I'm new to bowhunting myself.

To fix the slice, make sure your stance is lined up straight and the club head is closed rather than open. And don't pivot those wrists.

As for the faded jeans, the Levi outlet store here sells the rather used looking ones for over $40. They don't take trade-ins and won't buy my old ones. I'm 36 and have every pair of jeans I've bought in the past 15 years. If anyone wants the look, they're for sale.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:30 PM
Dominant Buck

To fix the slice, make sure your stance is lined up straight and the club head is closed rather than open. And don't pivot those wrists.
I'm not picking on you.....but this is a CLASSIC example of what most people in this thread are talking about. While good advice....technically...it has flaws. It's NOT how you would teach someone.

Again....it's just a good example.....
Old 01-09-2007, 01:40 PM

I noticed the long loop very early on in this post..but how do you tell a guy who repeatedly posts.."there is no good reason not to shoot a string loop!" that his loop is hurting him. I knew it wouldn't go over well..so too each his own. If your happy I'm happy.
Which is why I had the guy setting my bow tie one on for me. I alsoagreedthat the loop was too long, explained that I planned on chaning it, and then did so. Thanks though, Gr8.

Len, I understand where you're coming from in not wanting to offer advice to someone who isn't going to accept it, but if you go back and read the entire thread, the only two people I didn't accept advice from were David (one of your good friends, whichI assume is why you're refusing to offer advice) and someone who suggested the use of a kisser button. Everyone else I thanked and considered everything offered to me. It's nice to know that this forum is becoming a place where people are picking and choosing when to offer their advice rather than just putting it out there. I'm sure its greatly appreciated.

Matt, I've thought about hiring a coach, but everytime I get serious about it its always at a time when my schedule won't allow it. (IE, working 10 - 12 hour days during the summer.) Its all about how much you really want it, so I guess I don't want it that bad, LOL.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:44 PM
Typical Buck

LOL, that's the generic fix answer. I usually whack a divot the size of your foot.

I never take anything too seriously. Like I said, I'm new myself so any advice is benficial. One of the most sensible things I've been told was by my sister, NEVER use the corner of your mouth as an anchor point. She was told this by two different award winning experts who own a shop in NC. Most people ask the reason they shouldn't do this, I asked that question myself after being told to use this point. The reason was simple, something so small as your mood can change how you hold yourlips and this can change the location of the corner of your mouth. She uses a tooth, I've learned to use the back corner of my jawbone.

To some here, this is just a rehashed subject, but to someone new it can make a big difference. So, even if something has flaws, it can put someone who doesn't know on the correct path.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:53 PM

That's interesting, Beezer. I've never heard that, but it does make sense.

I have the string touch the tip of my nose and I lock my thumb under my law bone. I used to shoot with a kisser button (located at the corner of my mouth) but after shooting with it for so long it became unecessary.

Thats really cool information though.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dan, nice bow and congrats, wade through all the advice and best of luck, I think Atlas gave you some great advice in the beginning, when you get it all figured out you can teach me, I try to keep things simple stupid with shooting in preperation for hunting. Stance, anchor, peep,nose, pretty much like Gregh said.

Hey on another note... Wanna go shed hunting Monday? We have it off, I am going. I'd be glad to come over and get you for the day. Let me know. PM me.

Troy
Old 01-09-2007, 02:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

i usually read more then i comment on topics...but, it seems that people forget that we are hunting in what can be a thousan miles away and make comments to specific instead of general comments....not to say this topic needs to be more general, but most topic answer if more general i think would cause less issues,..... that and we all have our own opinion...years of experience in the field and hunting to learn how to do something theright way....then you go and reveall what took you 15 or 30 years to accomplish only to have someone tell you that your wrong...that would tick off even the most understanding of people....
Old 01-09-2007, 03:32 PM
Dominant Buck

Exactly. Len's comments would be like mine only probably more detailed. He didn't respond as he did because he's my friend. He just read the other responses and the rebuttal and said, "why bother"?