Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

In Close, Where To Shoot???

Old 11-28-2002, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default In Close, Where To Shoot???

I was told by a fellow hunter that when a deer is right under your stand you should aim high. I extremely disagree. He said that when your arrow comes off the rest it first drops then rises and then drops again. Can anyone please set this straight.
Old 11-28-2002, 03:14 PM

Default RE: In Close, Where To Shoot???

It doesn't "drop" to start with, but it will shoot LOW at VERY close range. The arrow needs time to climb to the level of the sights
with a 400 grain arrow going at 250 fps, you should get something like this (depending on how high your sights/peer are , this can change)
1 Yard 4" low
2 3.25 low
3 1.93 low
4 1.35 low
5 .83 low
6 .37 low
7 .04" high
So at 5 yards, your less than 1" low not a HUGE problem
Also, remember that when shooting DOWN, (or up for that matter...anything but level) your trajectory flattens out....but at this range, it would be minimal.
Your buddy is RIGHT to say aim high....but not more than 1" high at 5 yards. (depending on arrow speed/weight/and how high your peep/sights are)
Old 11-28-2002, 03:42 PM

Stealth_Force got it right but I need to add that trying to shoot straight down normally puts you in an incorrect position to shoot through your peep properly. Not to mention the fact that spine shots or one lung shots with that angle are low percentage shots.

Personally I've passed in straight down shots in hopes of something better. This year I had an 8 pointer come straight at me and I watched him walk straight under my stand. However "The Can" did him in and he came back and gave me an 18 yard broadside.

Come on guys, if the deer is not somewhat broadside, let it walk. With luck it might give you something better a few yards out.
Old 11-28-2002, 03:58 PM
Spike

I'm confussed. I personally have shot deer straight below me and a have shot targets straight below me. I bring the pin up to the inside of the deer, or the side closest to me. That's when I let go. I hope that makes sense. I guess I would be aiming low because the arrow hits a little higher than you are aiming. I do agree with Lefty Llewellyn that it's a bad shot but sometimes that's all you get. If you have to take it aim low, like I said rest your pin on the lower inside edge and let go. I would suggest to set up a target or just pick a leaf on the ground when your in the tree and take a shot. Experience is the best teacher.

Check out my page.
http://www.geocities.com/scottbowden23/mydeer.html

Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence and determination.
Calvin Coolidge
Old 11-28-2002, 05:30 PM

I was the hunter who told DoubleLung about this, but I never said anything about a deer straight under your tree. I was told that from 5 yards in you should aim low because at this distance the arrow is still traveling below the line of sight. I have studied trajectory charts and this seems to be accurate to me, and then after 5 yards aim high...am I correct on this one guys??

Shots that are True....Pass right Through!!!
Old 11-28-2002, 10:20 PM

Olmossyhorns.Pretty close...from what I have seen...for MOST set ups I have run...about 6.5 yards is zero for a 20 yard pin.