Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How would you approach this property?

Old 01-05-2007, 01:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default How would you approach this property?

I gained access to some land for bow hunting.I'm having a hard time figuring out how to approach (enter) the property when hunting. Below is a detailed airial photo. The property lines are outlined in red (approximately a 1/2 mile). Mostof the big rubs are in the wooded area marked with an orange circle. The green circles are bean fields, the yellow circles designate CRP. The red dot is a clearing in the woods that would be an excellent place for a stand. The white spots are the house & buildings. The problem is...to get into thegood areas I have to walk a considerable distance in the woods (think noisy). The only placeI found so far to cross the creak is where the blue dot is. Those of you that have to walk a ways in the woods to get to your stands...how do you do it? I'm thinking with the owners permission I somehow need to clear a walking path or something. Ideas? I'm going to thoroughly walk the property this weekend...maybe I'll find a quiet way to enter.

Old 01-05-2007, 01:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: How would you approach this property?

Is the river deep enough for a small 10ft john boat?

What I do, I have eletric trolling motor, sneak right in behind the deer
Old 01-05-2007, 01:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

From here maybe a plane and then rent a car.

Seriously it may be quieter in the morning when leaves are damp..bottoms are usually quieter. If you are stand hunting as long as your not disturbing bedding (afternnoon) or feeding (mornings) and play the wind properly. You'll be fine with some amount of noise.

Places that seem noisy are usually traversible if you use the wind noise..perhaps a train or traffic noise etc.

Leaves are rarley that dry this time of year at least in my part of the country.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

that or ask if you can use a small atv or something. or find a good deer trail to follow to it
ORIGINAL: Germ

Is the river deep enough for a small 10ft john boat?

What I do, I have eletric trolling motor, sneak right in behind the deer
Old 01-05-2007, 01:38 PM

Sometimes the best spots are just to hard to get to. With woods like you have there, sometimes its better to find a spot easier to get to. More then likely those bucks will be following the river. I have a property I hunt here and it has a creek running through it and the deer just follow it like its a road. Id try and set up on the side where you park and find an easy way by following the edges to your stand.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

With the wind in my face.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:47 PM
Site Buck Guru

The blue dot looks like a good spot for a stand.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: GregH

The blue dot looks like a good spot for a stand.
Oh man does it

4 funnels that converge there!!!!
Old 01-05-2007, 01:58 PM

I would get the biggest, fastest and loudest ATV and simply hall-@** on in there!
Old 01-05-2007, 03:55 PM
Dominant Buck

Sometimes the best plan is to just walk. It's not all that bad. Take your time and go slow. Walking through the woods isn't so bad. If you go slow you won't make a lot of noise. Get one of those green, red or amber led headlamps and flip it on when you get in the woods. Determine your most secretive and quite route and mark it with some eyes or something. I just seem to have a knack for finding my way to some place I've been. When I find a good spot, even for just future use, I decide on how I want to go in and out and then walk out slowly. I make mental notes of guiding markers as I go. You know, stuff like double tree on right, stump on left, log to go over, turn right at second log, hug the ditch, walk in the low groundetc etc. Move any noisy limbs etc I usually have a light but rarely turn it on. I don't like them. Sometimes also the best route is to just head straight out across a field a bit before daylight. If there are deer, sure they'll scatter, but you're going deeper so it probably won't matter. On the farm I hunted near Oxford, Ohio this fall the, the landowner practices religiously No Till farming. He has all his fields undermined with drain tiles. No driving in the fields except to get a deer. Our closest stand was probably a 600-700 yard walk. To get to all of them we had to walk fields or pastures. Could have shot deer everyday.

Quick Reply: How would you approach this property?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.