Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Off Season Books To Read

Old 01-05-2007, 10:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Off Season Books To Read

Hey Michael, not a bowhunting book but do you have " How To Bag The Biggest Buck Of Your Life" (1974)by Larry Benoit? I have an original signed copy inmy small collection.
On another note, people need to realize that if youra non-resident youMUST have a guide or "outfitter" to hunt in Canada, where there are some serious "real world farms and ranches" to hunt. And trust me, these deer are as free ranging as you could possibly get. These deer are NOT managed. The only exception, there may be a small area you can hunt without an "outfitter" in Ontario, but that's about it.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do have "the benoit way".. but do not have "how to tag the biggest buck of your life". but will get it soon..hopefully.

I like the Benoit family and know they real world hunt. They hunt mostly with gun and in BIG woods though. I hunt small 30 acre lots with fencerows leading into neighborhoods.

I have been meaning to give that book a try. You can learn alot from a guy who's been hunting that long. And it never hurts to read someone else's opinions.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've read Sand County Almanac" and I was bored to tears. I know it may be a sin to criticize Leopold...but it was really boring.

Currently I am reading "How to Stay Alive in the Woods" Lots of good info in there.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:10 AM

Not hunting books, but anything by Sigurd Olson. I have read all his books and I learned alot about myself and why I love the outdoors.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:17 AM

ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

I do have "the benoit way".. but do not have "how to tag the biggest buck of your life". but will get it soon..hopefully.

I like the Benoit family and know they real world hunt. They hunt mostly with gun and in BIG woods though. I hunt small 30 acre lots with fencerows leading into neighborhoods.

I have been meaning to give that book a try. You can learn alot from a guy who's been hunting that long. And it never hurts to read someone else's opinions.
Sorry, I'm gonna jump off topic for a second. I have hear a lot about how great the Benoits were the last few years. 2 days ago I watched "Benoit Brothers Hunt Smarter Not Haarder"and lost what (little) respect I had for them. They are the most disgusting and unethical bunch of hunter I have ever seen. They were advocating shooting running deer, poor shot placement and the like. One deer was standing broadside and the guys said, "Let make this a challenge". So he made a noise to get the deer running. There were very few scenes where they took less than 3 shots at a deer.

Sorry, but the Benoits get 2 big thumbs down from me. [:'(]
Old 01-05-2007, 10:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Here are two good ones

Hunting high pressured whitetails by John Eberhart

Year around Trophy Whitetails by Joe Brooks
http://www.trophy-whitetails.com/
Old 01-05-2007, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

thanks for the info. dan... i'll be sure to check that out. not that i don't believe you, but i've read so many bad things about people that are not true that i always find it's better to see for myself without judging another first.

if that is the case however, i will not proceed to read anymore books written by them.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:23 AM

thanks for the info. dan... i'll be sure to check that out. not that i don't believe you, but i've read so many bad things about people that are not true that i always find it's better to see for myself without judging another first.

if that is the case however, i will not proceed to read anymore books written by them.
I don't blame you Duke. Anyone can post anything they want on an internet forum. You have a PM.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

I saw a copy on e-bay for $250, I think I paid $10.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Another great read is a book called "Heart and Blood" by Richard Nelson. It's a jouney not only through the whitetail world told from the eyes of a hunter but a non hunter and a antihunter as well. You'll learn all angles of how not only the whitetail but all the sub species of deer are viewed by others. It's a great read and I highly recommend it to ever deer hunter. You'll get information you never knew plus knowledge against anti's.

Quick Reply: Off Season Books To Read

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.