Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Booked a bear hunt with a bow, question?

Old 01-05-2007, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Booked a bear hunt with a bow, question?

Let me get all the contact info and when I talk to him next if he still has spots open I will send you a pm with the info..

Oh Ok.. Well I will probably go without the bait the first couple days but after that I will hunt over bait, although it's affordable it's still a lot of money and a long drive to come home without a bear. About scouting for them I'm not the one to give answers, although I've lived in bear territory in the past I've never bear hunted.. I will be learning alot on this next hunt..

You should post a topic, I'm sure alot of people on here could help you out.

Old 01-05-2007, 09:44 AM
Fork Horn

I don't care what anybody says. Hunting Bear over bait is a blast and in most places the best way to hunt them. Spot and stalk would be awesome to do. Most places aren't open enough to do this though. My favorite hunt ever was a Bear hunt over bait. Don't let people talk you out of it. Go and have fun!

Your bow set up will work perfect.
Fire away!!

MC
Old 01-05-2007, 09:51 AM

ORIGINAL: demoIL

Oh Ok.. Well I will probably go without the bait the first couple days but after that I will hunt over bait, although it's affordable it's still a lot of money and a long drive to come home without a bear.

I don't want to bust your bubble, but the first couple of days will be a waste of time if you do not hunt over bait. As thick as the woods are in Ontario, your chances of seeing a bear without bait are pretty slim.

Start over bait right away and then you may be able to be more choosey about what you shoot.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:18 AM

ORIGINAL: Killer_Primate

Is this hunt the kind where the bear will be eating apples out of a trash can when you shoot him?
Whether it is or not, it is NOT what he was asking about. No need to start a flame war Killer_Primate.
Your bow is packing plenty of punch for then bears. Good luck!!!
Old 01-05-2007, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good point.. I've never been so right now I'm talking out my arss... lol We'll see what's it's like when I get up there, hoping to bag a wolf too..

thanks for the comments guys
ORIGINAL: _Dan

ORIGINAL: demoIL

Oh Ok.. Well I will probably go without the bait the first couple days but after that I will hunt over bait, although it's affordable it's still a lot of money and a long drive to come home without a bear.

I don't want to bust your bubble, but the first couple of days will be a waste of time if you do not hunt over bait. As thick as the woods are in Ontario, your chances of seeing a bear without bait are pretty slim.

Start over bait right away and then you may be able to be more choosey about what you shoot.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree. You are better off to spend every evening over the bait. You may need it.

I had a friend that went this past fall. There were 10 of them that went. They hunted with rifles. Out of the 10, only 4 got bear and only 2 other guys saw them.

I guess they went early in the fall and there were still lots of blue berries. The bears preferred the berries over the bait so they weren't hitting them.