Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

AAAARRGGGHHH. so close. LONG READ

Old 01-04-2007, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default AAAARRGGGHHH. so close. LONG READ

Well I went out this morning hoping to fill one of my tags, as I still have my buck tag and a few doe tags. Got into the stand an hour before daylight and had deer around me within 15 mins. I actually heard them grunting and bleating back and forth before I even heard them walking. They must have been talking to each other for 15 mins about 60 yds. away from me before they came in my direction, it was cool to listen to them. I could make them out in the moonlight, they looked like dark blobs walking around. This went on for a while and they started to filter off. I am thinking great just my luck. The last two started walking away about 20 mins before legal light, I watched them ghosting away, when wait a sec, is that a rack on one of them? They circled around and walked off behind me leaving me to wonder if I was tricking myself into thinking there might have been a buck around. When legal shooting light came around there was nothing there. I had nothing to lose, so I pulled out my call and let out a few doe bleats with it. 10 mins later, I hear a whisper of a step behind me and to my left, so quiet it could not have possibly been a deer, but my instincts told me to look anyway. HOLY CRAP, big six point standing 15 yds. away, my heart went from 60 BPM to cardiac arrest mode in a millisecondI made a move for the bow and got it down, uh oh he saw me and is burning holes through me, at quarter draw, arms are dying, please look away. After about 2 mins he does, and I can let down. He is cautious but not spooked, he is walking, here it comes, he goes behind some brush, clearing on other side, I am drawing he scurries 8 yds. throught the clearing, on high alert. Not sure what made him jump, but he was wired. He is now walking away, oh no, no shot at all, he turns right,he is about 24yds. out, I stand up and draw all at once. Pins are on him, shooting. he jumps, no THWACK at all. He runs about 10 yds., stops, then just saunters off. I am not sure what happened, so I wait a bit and get down and sneak over to where I shot. I find the arrow, clean as a bell minus some dirt. Stepped it off, it was 30 yds. that combined with the fact that I think I dropped my arm made for a clean miss. No buck, but what a morning of late season hunting. Sorry about the long post. Gotta keep at it.

Shane
Old 01-04-2007, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: AAAARRGGGHHH. so close. LONG READ

Wow sorry about your luck. Keep at it. Don't give up and you just may get another shot.
Old 01-04-2007, 03:05 PM

Sounds like you had a good time this morning. At least you missed and didn't hurt him. Might have another shot at him.
Old 01-04-2007, 03:11 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: sr77

....my heart went from 60 BPM to cardiac arrest mode in a millisecondShane
That had to be exciting as heck! I live for that feeling.
Old 01-04-2007, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree, that feeling is awesome. The day I don't get it, is the day I stop hunting.. It was one heck of a morning. I love this stuff

Shane
Old 01-04-2007, 05:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Great stuff and a memory for life.

I do have one question, you didn't know there was a buck amoungst them with all the grunting or are you surprised one still had it's rack?
Old 01-04-2007, 05:54 PM

hahahah man that feeling is awesome i just had that same feeling this past tuesday in the evening hunt.......
i hunt on about 20 acres and this was my first year really bow hunting even though i have only gone 2 times but anyways i had just recently bought a ground blind and i a spike came within 10 yds of me but i couldnt shoot him because he was on the other side of the fence but oh well thaat feeling was awesome maybe ill get another chance at him during spike and doe season
Old 01-05-2007, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

I do have one question, you didn't know there was a buck amoungst them with all the grunting or are you surprised one still had it's rack?
I actually should clarify, I heard alot of doe bleats with what I thought were a few grunts mixed in. Low and behold, I was right. It was unreal to listen to them vocalize like they were. I have heard grunts and bleats in the woods before, but not like this, it was like they were just hanging out having a conversation for 15 mins. It was awesome.

Shane
Old 01-05-2007, 08:27 AM

Sounded like a fun morning. Sorry you missed, but just to experience those thrills makes up for it in my book.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:53 AM
Dominant Buck

Good for you. I've seen hundreds of deer and I've yet to hear a doe bleat.

Those encounters are what makes this so enjoyable.

BTW.......

I am drawing he scurries 8 yds. throught the clearing, on high alert. Not sure what made him jump, but he was wired.
You don't shoot a Whisker Biscuit, do you??????.....lol (I keed, I keed!)

I'm just askin......

Quick Reply: AAAARRGGGHHH. so close. LONG READ

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.