Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

AAAARRGGGHHH. so close. LONG READ

Old 01-05-2007, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: AAAARRGGGHHH. so close. LONG READ

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Good for you. I've seen hundreds of deer and I've yet to hear a doe bleat.

Those encounters are what makes this so enjoyable.

BTW.......

I am drawing he scurries 8 yds. throught the clearing, on high alert. Not sure what made him jump, but he was wired.
You don't shoot a Whisker Biscuit, do you??????.....lol (I keed, I keed!)

I'm just askin......
No, trophy taker drop away. There were a few horses in a pasture not far away walking around, that combined with the fact that I think he knew something was up had him on high alert. I honestly have no clue what made him bolt threw the lane, as my draw is completely silent and I waited until he was behind cover to draw. He might have spooked himself for all I know. You are right, those encounters are what makes this sport so addicting.

Shane

Old 01-05-2007, 09:25 AM
Dominant Buck

sr...just know that the WB joke preceeds your encounter. Sorry!

Great story!

JEff
Old 01-05-2007, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

sr...just know that the WB joke preceeds your encounter. Sorry!

Great story!

JEff
Have bad luck with a WB? I have never used one, but have heard they can be a bit noisy at times? Thanks, I thought the story was worth posting for all you guys to read. I am tellin you, one of the coolest parts of the morning was listening to those deer talk back and forth, I have never heard anything like it, I have heard deer vocalize, but not to this extent.

Shane
Old 01-05-2007, 10:04 AM
Typical Buck

I've heard deer vocalize but not in the wild like that. the only vocalization that I've heard in the wild is when they blow at you, but never a grunt. That must've been cool. I felt like I was there with you while reading your post. Even though you didn't get a kill, I'd consider that a successful hunt.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had a buck grunting in pre dawn light this year. He hung around my stand for a good 10 minutes and then moved on about 5 minutes before shooting light. This was the 2nd of Dec, well after the first rut here, seemed early for a second rut but things have been wierd here all year (bucks with wet, black hocks in Oct!). I've had a fawn stand within 10 yards bleating repeatedly during a windy day during bow season while it's mom fed 40 yards away. I've also heard bucks grunting while chasing a doe. Can't say I've heard a doe bleat either, not that I remember.