Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need some quick opinions about a bedded buck in my backyard

Old 01-03-2007, 01:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need some quick opinions about a bedded buck in my backyard

My meat grinder is put away.All my meat is packaged etc.If it were me id look at that deer as a survivor of a wisconsin deer seasion.Id see him when the game resumes in sept 07!
Old 01-03-2007, 01:38 PM
Dominant Buck

If you're uncomfortable trying to stalk and shoot, try to stalk and get a nice close up picture. We'd all enjoy the fruits of a successful stalk. And like someone said, he knows the territory. He found a secure area. It isn't going to be as simple as walking out and whacking him. Unless you do this often I'd say your chances are slim to almost none, but boy would it be fun. Double check the wind Ishi.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

You know, I have a similar situation, except I'm at work all day and when I go home usually right at dark there are a lot of deer within sight of my house. It kills me not to be able to jump out the following morning or even set up for an ambush as they leave the farm to feed. If he's a frequent visitor and you still have time, set up the group blind or better yet a treestand over the area, give it a little time to cool down and enjoy. At this time of year, they become creatures of habit and it can be fun. Good luck
Old 01-03-2007, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Guys,

here is an ariel photo so you can see what I am up against with this. He beds in a field that has a clear view 180 degrees around him. You can see how close he was to the houses and the very few trees I have to hunt out of. This is a great funnel area if you hunt it right.

I couldn't go after him in the am because he was facing into my yard and the wind was blowing from his back. Once he got up and move about 10 yards and was facing west, I had a chance but still couldn't decide what to do.

Davidmil, I'm with you. It certainly is not a sure thing or even a slim chance, but for me, I wasn't sure it was the right thing being that I watched him out the office window for hours.

Old 01-03-2007, 02:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do you enjoy seeing him?

Consider putting a feeder in the backyard and just watching him and other deer.

You may regret shooting him. Its nice to sit back and watch them.

Old 01-03-2007, 03:54 PM
Fork Horn

If he's a biggun and mature he didn't get that way by letting someone just walk up to him. Most likely he'll know your in the woods before you do.

Maybe he's a secret agent in disguise and he's casing you out LOL

Good luck in your quest, I'd say "GO FOR IT" I see nothing wrong, its not like you bought the buck at an auction and tied it up. If its wild, and you have permission to hunt the place its open game.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:14 PM

Part of me says it's not fair as I didn't really hunt him. I bow hunt for the thrill of playing the game and getting into position undetected and outsmarting him
what should you care what WE think ? The above tells me you don't want to kill it.

Me ? I'd stalk him and shoot him with my longbow and be tickled with it. Great eating if nothing else
Old 01-03-2007, 05:56 PM
Dominant Buck

Sounds like a nice place to dig a ground pit to hunt from. A few little bushes in the right place.... ground hog view.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

WW7, yeah I do and I watch them all year long. I have some bucks that i've watched from their first antler growth. Others I see are just passing by. I'm in the process now of getting stills of all the bucks I have on camera from this year and going to post them later on.

BusterT, you are right, I shouldn't care. I was more trying to make up my mind of what to do and thought I would just share with the crowd here at this board.

Davidmil, I took your advice. About 4:50pm I noticed him up and feeding about 20 yards from where he was bedded all morning so I took the digital camera and tried a stalk. I made it 10 steps off the desk before the head snapped up. I continued to stalk and here is the photo I was able to get.

The earlier pictures of him bedded are about 10 yards in from the edge of the grass you see in this picture.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

OK Pops, here's the plan. I'm going to need your phone number. You let me know the next time he's out there. I'll drive up there and park on the side of the turnpike. After I completely de-scent I will slowly make my way across that first field and into the stand of trees where your ground blind is. Once there I will de-scent again (just incase I sweat on my way across the field). Then I will slowy make my way up the backside of that row of pines. This is where you come in. I'll call you and let it ring twice then hang up. That is the sign for you to go outback to draw his attention. While you've got his attention I'll sneak through the pines and set up on him. Then you start dancing around the back yard like a ballerina. Hopefully that will push him towards me so I can whack him. We can split the meat and have joint custody of the mount.
Deal?

Quick Reply: Need some quick opinions about a bedded buck in my backyard

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.