Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

leaving and need help fast

Old 01-01-2007, 05:05 PM

Default leaving and need help fast

i live in west central illinois i hunt public land and i love bowhunting this will probably be my first and last hard year of deer hunting as i am leaving to join the united states army on march 20th i have not shot at a deer yet but im confident in my shooting ability there are alot of tree stands in the area i hunt i have seen deer there and there are good signs all over the place but the hunting pressure is un beleiveable i see deer walking around and looking in trees for hunters i hunt from the ground and was wondering what areas i should hunt there are river bottoms thick woods bedding areas everything u want to hunt but to much pressure u guys are great on here any advice on where to sit and wait would be great thnx alot
Old 01-01-2007, 05:14 PM

Default RE: leaving and need help fast

The only thing I can tell ya is to do things different than everybody else does. Don't enter the woods in the same place, don't walk the same trails, use extreme scent elimination procedures, and hunt where nobody else has. You gotta find somewhere no one else has hunted this year.

Oh, and why would this be your LAST year of deer hunting?? Just because you're taking a "vacation" doesn't mean you won't return. Thanks for serving.
Old 01-01-2007, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

This DEFINATELY won't be your last year hunting. Almost every army base has its own wildlife management area for great fishing and hunting that is only open to military. Those resources are used very little in my experience.

Also, you get 30 days of leave per year to hunt anywhere in the states the rut is ON.... Plus, your signed leave form will allow you a "resident" price in any state you hunt.

In a couple of years you'll be making decent money and have enough time off to enjoy yourself.
It only gets better the longer you stay in brother! HUA
Old 01-01-2007, 06:30 PM

I hope you don't return as ate up as HAZCON7 did.