Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What have you learned here to help make you a better Bowhunter/Archer?

Old 12-31-2006, 06:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What have you learned here to help make you a better Bowhunter/Archer?

LMAO Im with ya Greg! Hard to teach old dogs new tricks eh!

ORIGINAL: GregH

Well, right off the top of my head, I've learned ......

1) I can type twice as fast if I use two fingers instead of one.

Happy New Year to all
Old 12-31-2006, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What have you learned here to help make you a better Bowhunter/Archer?

All the things mentioned are true but I like to think I'e made some new friends. Hope to meet some of them at the get-together in June!
Old 12-31-2006, 08:53 AM

Well, I believe that this post has two separate questions, at least for me. So , I'll answer the question in terms of archery first and bowhunting second.

At the risk of being repetitive,my archery experience, ('46 -'94)started with longbows, progressed to recurves and eventually compounds. The setups ran the gamut from:
1.) Rests - No shelf, shelf, thumbnail plastic, flipper
2.) Sights- None
3.) Release - None (Fingers/Glove)
4.) Arrows - Cedar, Real Cedar, Fiberglass, Aluminum
5.) Camo - WW2 war surplus, Realtree, Viet Nam

Last year my son expressed a strong desire to begin bowhunting so I started to lurk in this forum to study what new equipment was out there. I hadn't even heard of adrop-away or a Mathews,etc..This forum and it's members provided the informationfor me to evaluatedifferent equipment and after some testing (and pricing), choose setups for my son and I. So for that I thank you. (I still use my old camo, though I'm looking for next year.

Now for the bowhunting. I think we're missing a great opportunity to share hunting knowledge in this forum. It's a great product and accessory site but lacks meat in hunting experiences. I read a thread which indicated 7, (I believe),deer had been killed from the same treestand that year. Why was that such a great stand?? What was the thought process that went into it's placement?? Location of food, bedding, terrain, wind, etc.. Maybe the area was overrun with deer or grandpa put it up a long time ago and since it's been productive, keep using it. All of that information is helpful not only to newbies but to old men like me. There are countless situations which could be expanded upon and be of great interest to most.

I say most because there are always a few who must, by their nature, denigrade the efforts of others. My way or the highway, I and only I know the secrets of Life mentalities exist everywhere. When they pop up in your threads, don't respond. However, strong opinions, as long as they respectful ofothers are good and should continue.

Since I now always still hunt, the wind and it's relation to me is extremely important to how I hunt. Is there interest in sharing your thoughts in this area? I don't want to hijack this thread, so I leave it to you, the readers. Continue in this thread, start a new one to catch all contributions or say goodbye....

laxdad
Old 12-31-2006, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Patience, not only in waiting, but also in waiting for the shot to materialize. I learned a long time ago that forcing things to happen, brings negative results.
Old 12-31-2006, 10:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

The doe I shot this year would never have been recovered if not for Rob/PA and his what to do after the shot thread. That is just one of many things I have learned here. How to properly track a poorly hit deer. And when to start tracking! I can't begin to list the rest of the tips or the people responsible for them as there are so many!
Old 01-01-2007, 08:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Probably most things I've learned have been very subtle and I don't even realize I've learned them.
One thing I can say is that I have changed up my hunting so as not to overhunt stands and/or don't even attempt to go into certain stands until the time is right.

The biggest thing I've learned is that I am quitea ways behind a lot of people's knowledgeand I need to keep learning more from them.