Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Lack of late season practice cost me a buck

Old 12-30-2006, 02:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Lack of late season practice cost me a buck

Hey guys.

Well with my KY buck tag still active, I went out again this morning to see what was cruising. At first light a very nice 8 came in and walked within 20 yards of my stand. I sized him up and decided to fill the tag. Wishful thinking... I let him get to 30, draw, he jumps a little, aim, fire. LOW.How can that be. I've been on all season although I haven't practiced i weeks. He moves out to about 40 and stands. I reload, aim, fire. LOW again. I was thinking how this sucks, I haven't missed twice at a deer ever. He runs off ofcourse and there I stood shaking my head. A couple of hours pass without any action and I pull out. Well, I get home and decide to take a couple of practice shots before heading in. All my shots were low left. Apparently somewhere in the past few weeks, I'm off or my bow is. Anyhow, sorry to be long, but just wanted to share how important it is to keep practicing as long as your hunting. Lesson learned and yes, I got tuned back out this afternoon.....the buck wont be as luck the next time, if there is one.

Happy New Year.

Kelly
Old 12-30-2006, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Lack of late season practice cost me a buck

Man, thats too bad. I was just thinking about how i should get out and shoot a few arrows. I like to shoot a few before i go out to hunt each day but right now its raining....maybe tomorrow
Old 12-30-2006, 03:56 PM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: Lack of late season practice cost me a buck

I know how that is. I have a stand that is 28 feet high and my bow rope is 25 feet long. I put an extra 1-piece tree step in the tree and hang my bow from it when climbing, then pull it up once I get in the stand. I do the reverse when getting down. Sometimes that gets a little tricky when it starts getting dark out. One night when I was getting down I was having trouble getting the bow on the step. I hooked it on something and couldn't move it up or down. I let the bow hang there until I got down, only to find that it was hanging from my sight! I can't believe that I didn't wipe out all of my sight pins. When I got home, I immediately took the bow down to the basement and took a few shots. I found that everything was still good. I shoot my bow every so often just to make sure everything is still good. Sometimes bows are subject to rough treatment and it is a good idea to check them over periodically.