Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes I have / would enter my animal into P&Y.
61.19%
No I haven't / wouldn't enter my animal into P&Y.
23.88%
Undecided.
14.93%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

P&Y discussion continued......

Old 12-29-2006, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: P&Y discussion continued......

Maybe.
Old 12-29-2006, 02:23 PM
Site Buck Guru

I have a friend that is a very good deer hunter. He's got over 20 P&Ys and has not entered any of them. He has about 5 mounted and a huge pile of cut off antlers in his basement. I'm the opposite, I enter them all and mount everything. It has never caused any problems between us because it is your own personal choice. There should be no reason for one to have to defend their choice.
Old 12-29-2006, 02:28 PM
Fork Horn

In my part of NYS there are not many big bucks but on 10/30/93 @ 7:45 a.m. someone smiled on me and let one walk past my stand. My 8 pointer grossed 126 4/8 and netted 125 2/8. It was entered in P&Y and the NYS Big Buck Club(minimum for NYS is 120). I know I will never kill another buck with archery equipment that will qualifiy for either book. Did I do it for bragging rights? Yep, thats why I did it. I don't have much time to hunt therefore I would usually shoot the first1.5 yr old deer that crossed my path. I wound up shooting a lot of does (gun and bow) and my friends started calling me the "doe man".They no longer call me by that name. Was i lucky? Yes, I realize I was very lucky. Am I a better hunter than my friends. No, as I always listen to what they have to say when it comes to hunting. We all have our reasons why we choose to enter or not enter our bucks.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:25 PM

after I shot my first buck with a bow, I made up my mind that i wouldn't shoot another until it made pope and young. When i got one last year it was very exciting for me to have it entered in the book. I don't know if I would spend the time and money to get others entered in the future. Although it is a good excuse to see the pope and young scorer's amazing trophy room.

As far as the scoring goes i think they should keep the conventional scoring method, but also score bucks by calculating the volume of the antlers. This would show the true 'massiveness' (for lack of a better term) of the antlers and could be easily and quickly done.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I will definitely enter my P&Y buck, as soon as I shoot him. I have already seta goal next year w/ my bow,>130. Hopefully he grosses over 125.