Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is this right?

Old 12-28-2006, 03:41 PM
Typical Buck

Default Is this right?

I was just shooting my brand new FB Element in the backyard, and was using my top pin, set at 20 yards, to shoot at 10 and 15 yards, and it was about 4-5" high. does that sound right? the IBO speed for this bow is about 302 fps, but i realize it isnt shooting that fast, but should the arrow be that far off between 10 and 20 yards? i tweaked my sights and put the top one at 15 and the next at 25, both are pretty close on, but are right next to eachother on the actual sight. if that makes any sense. Any tips on what i could do to adjust this, or should it be that far off? Im shooting 60#, 28" Carbon Express arrows w/ 4" feathers. thanks for any help, im hoping to get it sighted in well at 20-25 yards this week and head out for the last week of bow season next week.

ps. for those of you who shoot home-made lumenoks, be very careful when shooting them and inspect them before you shoot, and dont drill the back hole too big, while shooting one of mine tonight the nock blew up when i released and the arrow hit about 6" low. just a heads up.

happy holidays!
Old 12-28-2006, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Is this right?

I don't think there should be that much of a difference, but there may be. Are you saying that your pin gap between the 15 & 25? if that'sthe case use the 20 and adjust at the closer yardages.
Old 12-28-2006, 03:48 PM
Typical Buck

I now have my pins set at 15 and 25, and both are right on target, but they are as close togetheras they can be on the actual sight housing. earlier when i was shooting, the only pin i had set was the 20 yard pin, which was shooting about 4-5" high at 10 and 15 yards. hope this clears things up. Id really rather not have to hold below a deers body or at the bottom of its chest if i ever get a 10 yard shot, so i dont think the 20 yard pin will work for me, if there isnt something to be done about the problem.
Old 12-28-2006, 03:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thats normal. They are pretty close when they are at 10 yard incraments.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:40 PM
Typical Buck

my top pin is dead on at 20 and 10 yards. I do not hold any different and it hits right where i put it.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

My 20 yard pin is 1" high at 10 yards.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:50 PM

My 20 yd. pin is less than 1" high at 10 yds; 4-5" is a lot for a bow shooting that fast. Is it properly tuned?
Old 12-28-2006, 06:23 PM
Typical Buck

Im not sure if its tuned at all, i just picked it up from the shop on saturday. could it have anything to do with the fact that its peak weight is 70# and i have it at 60#? im just gonna deal with it for now, seeing as how the season is over in less than 2 weeks, and i'll worry about tuning it after that. Any ideas on where i should start with tuning? ive never done it before, and would like to know the best way to go about it. thanks again
Old 12-28-2006, 07:12 PM
Fork Horn

Confidence in your arrow is very important. For going out next week, set a pin at 10 yards and then set the next one at 20 yards. More than likely, you'll kill a deer on your second pin, but you will have the first one in case he is breathing down your neck. Good Luck.