Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What keeps you coming back........

Old 12-28-2006, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What keeps you coming back........

to Bowhunting...............In addition to the family/friends and camp camaraderie.

I think what keeps me coming back over and over is that moment of truth. That single moment just before a shot is presented. The small period of time between when you first spot a deer you know you are going to shoot right up until the time you release the aarow.

I am however getting more excited and about my pre-season preparation.

What is it thatkeeps you ADDICTED?
Old 12-28-2006, 01:33 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: What keeps you coming back........

I've seen things since I started deer hunting that very few men (percentage-wise) will ever see. I am quite often.....in awe.....and I can't wait to get home to describe my hunt to my wife.....who "gets it".....and hangs on every sentence.

I remember a lot of things from this past season.....but 2 things are:

1) seeing the buck I injured....alive and well
2) being in a tree....crying....when I realized my dog Ashley wouldn't get to see the leaves turn green, again.

I get welled up inside thinking about the time I get to spend out there in nature. I'd be less of a man if I'd not found this or hadn't been led here.

Jeff
Old 12-28-2006, 01:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Just about sitting in a tree and being alone, no work, no kids, no wife.
Just me and maybe a deer or two
Old 12-28-2006, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love the closeness of bowhunting. I'm hooked on the fact that the deer has to be when 45 yards for me to get a shot. Like this year I had a really nice buck hang up at 54 yards and then turn and walk away. Althoughif I was gun hunting it would've been a chip shot I just love the closeness.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:13 PM
Dominant Buck

gut....I'm with ya, there, too. I'm just glad (THOUGH I HARBOR NO ILL WILL TO GUN HUNTERS) that I don't know the difference! I've never hunted them with the gun......so when they'r eout of bow range.....I never have to think about what "could have been".

Old 12-28-2006, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sunrise... I love when the sun rises while in stand. I usually get into stand an hour+ (or more) before any shooting light. I love to identify the animals that I can't see while in the total dark. And then sunrise begins and you never know what your day may bring..
Old 12-28-2006, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like this year I had a really nice buck hang up at 54 yards and then turn and walk away
I had the same thing happen. I had grunted him in to about 50 yards or so, but he would not come any further. In a last ditch effort I hit the "can" call and his head popped up and here he came!.

I thought my heart was going to pop out of my chest!

The closeness is also a big part of what keeps me addicted.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are many things that keep me coming back with my bow in hand. Like some have already pointed out, I enjoy the challenge and the close up action.I really like matching witts with any big game animal.It is ultra exciting to have a wild animal whether it be deer, bear, moose, elk, antelope, etc. close enough to see him blink his eyes and the steam from his breath. It feels like such an acomplishment to take an animal with a stick and string. I hunt with my rifle and my muzzleloader each year as well, but there's definatly something different and special about bowhunting.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:32 PM

the great outdoors.

bowhunting, shotgun hunting, quail, pheasants,sheds, turkeys, coyotes, mushrooms, motorcycles, hiking, golf, fishing, photography, takingthe dogs outfor a swim orrun in the woods, farming, any reason i cancome upto go outside and enjoy mother nature.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bowhunting is like my little world. I never have to share the woods with anyone. The deer are in their natural state, feeding, walking, chasing.
I DO GUN HUNT ~ But it is much different. I have to share the woods. Deer are running, not in their natural state.

Ormaybe it isthe closeness. Whether it is a buck in bowrange or a fawn under my stand, either one is magical.

Or maybe it is those cool autumn mornings, when you see the bucks running and you can see the breath coming out of their nose

Or maybe it is the challenge

Or maybe it is the blood trails

Damn, I don't know...I love it all.

Quick Reply: What keeps you coming back........

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.