Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How high?

Old 12-28-2006, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default How high?

Whan using a tree stand how high should you be? I am hunting right now for the first time ever in a tree stand. I am about 15 feet up and a bit nervous to go any higher. I am not the biggest fan of heights so am I just wasting my time now?

Thanks
Old 12-28-2006, 07:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How high?

it really depends on the terrain and amount of cover, if you could itd be best to get as high as possible , optimum would be around 20-25 feet. But as i said it depends on the kind of terrain and im by no means saying 15 feet is ineffective because plenty of deer have been taken out of 15ft ladder stands.I would just try to get a little higher if possible
Nontypical Buck

No, i dont think your wasting your time at all. That is pleanty high to get you off the ground so you can see better and may help with your scent too. Personally, i like to get a little higher then 20, but 15 feet is definately high enough
Nontypical Buck

15 feet is fine. All my treestands are at 15 feet. Some prefer to go higher as it probably does help with scent control, but there has been many many deer killed at 15 feet high.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the reply's. I am going to see how my nerves do and might try to go a bit higher. And isnt technology great when you can sit in a treestand and be surfing huntingnet forums!
Old 12-28-2006, 07:51 AM
Dominant Buck

Just get high enough to get good cover and try to get as clean as you can (i.e. scent-free as possible). If that's 12-15 feet....go for it. Anything else is bragging. If I can get better cover at 12' than I can at 25'.....I'm staying at 12'.

Jeff
Old 12-28-2006, 07:54 AM
Dominant Buck

The BEST height varies with stands, terrain and time of year. That said, if you're not comfortable you don't belong higher. 15 feet is fine to begin with. I've been climbing trees for 35 years. I'm not a fan of heights either. I find that early in the year I tend to stop at 15-18. After a few hunts I get to feeling better about it all and soon find myself not stopping much before 20, but I still rarely go over 22 or 23. Play the wind and get some cover is more important than trying to prove you're a 30 foot up hunter. Strap in at all times. I'm usually in a climber and my HSS fall restraint is hooked up from the minute I leave the ground.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

You can kill deer at 15 feet for sure. I kill them off the ground. I use a safety harness with my climber so I go to close to 30 feet at head level. The extra height really can make a difference. If you don't wear a harness than don't climb. If you fall from 15 or 20 feet bones are going to break. Be safe.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

You're not wasting your time. I've killed several deer from zero feet. I don't go much higher than 20 feet. Most of the time it's more around 15 feet. Good scent control, good cover, and limit your movement you should be fine.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:17 AM

iv sat in a stand 8 foot off the ground and had deer walk by in bow range i usely set in stands about 12-14feet off the ground

Quick Reply: How high?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.