Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How high?

Old 12-28-2006, 09:54 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: How high?

Depends on the deer for me. On the public ground I hunt, the deer will spot you in a second if you're not at least 20' up. I usually go up to 25' or so. I also hunt on some private ground where I can be as low as 15' with no worries. Overall, I like getting up there pretty high, at least 20'. Just my preference.

BTW-I'm uncomfortablehigh in the treeearly inthe season, but you get use to it and become more comfortable.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:42 AM
Typical Buck

the highest ive been was about 30 ...but sometimes higher is better than lower...make sure u wear a safety harness
Old 12-29-2006, 11:32 AM

i see it like this if u can take a deer in a ground blind or stalking.. u can take a deer 3 feet off the ground i have shot deer 10 feet off the ground only because it was thick an flat ground.. but i see why you cant take a deer at 3 feet let alone 15 feet ..Your fine i was scared to go any higher at first but if u keep using the treestand you will be able togo 20-30 feet.. but not saying u have to 15 feet is fine just make sure u wear a saftey harness or you fall out of a tree like i did.. at 25 feet it sucks hurts alots an cant hunt for a few weeks but yes 15 feet is fine just do what you think you are more relaxed in .. you never know maybe next season you will be 25 feet in a tree or 3 feet lol either or.. well goodluck an dont fall out the tree happy hunting..
Old 12-29-2006, 01:32 PM

we usall are from 12-18 feet high, one thing you should do is hang your stands or atleast setup were you gonna hang them like early season you can add cover IE branches etc with rubber coated wire etc, best thing you can do is hang your stand were you like and then get down and walk aways off from the same directions the deer will.. you will be amazed how they seeing it from there point of view sometimes your stand will be hidden well and then sometime it stick out like a sore thumb,if you just hang stands and dont check how they look from aways off then your missing the boat soo many time early in my hunting year I would do this and feel soo hidden way up there sure I shot deer but only one day when I was tracking a deer and looked back only to see my stand was sticking out like a sore thumb, now I take the time and look at it from ground level rather then birds eye view...and 15feet is plenty with proper setup,
Old 12-30-2006, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I spend most of my time around 25 to 28 feet, depends on the terrain an cover.
Old 12-30-2006, 06:04 PM

I bought a two person ladder stand this past summer. I hope to use it with my grandson in 4-5 years but I like all the room it gives me. It is only 12 feet to the platform you stand on. (Was sold as a 15 foot stand - 15 feet to the shooting rail) My son tells me it's a little low but he shot an 8-point out of it and I took a small deer with the muzzleloader and my first deer with a bow out of it. I plan to buy another stand, probably a hang-on and it will not be more then 12-15 feet off the ground. Doesn't do me any good to try and hunt when I have to hang onto the tree with one hand if the stand is over 15 feet off of the ground.