Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How high?

Old 12-28-2006, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How high?

Thanks again for all the reply's. I did decide to go up another 5-6 feet. After sitting in the stand for awhile my nerves relaxed and I am feeling fine. I actually think that I am setup pretty well. I had another hunter come right up to me without a clue I was here. As for my age, I am 32. This is my first year ever hunting and I have only been able to go a half a dozen times. I have always usd a blind until today. Hopefully I can get my first deer before the season ends in 2 weeks.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:53 PM
Dominant Buck

I took my first deer @ 41 (this year). You've got PLENTY of time!

Good luck!

Jeff
Old 12-28-2006, 01:49 PM

Go were you are comfortable with work yourself up higher if needed. We all love hunting but its not worth killing yourself over.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:47 PM
Dominant Buck

And since you're a beginner, another thing to consider is weather. Weather can really throw in a monkey wrench. Wet trees are slicker and make it unsafe with some stands to stretch the envelope when it comes to stand angle etc. Ice of course is it's own beast at any height. Wind should drive you lower maybe or at least into a more protected area or larger tree. And while we're on wind, ALWAYS look out for those dead limbs above and half down trees hung up on a near by tree. They can be killers. You don't need to all of a sudden jump up from 14 or 15 feet to twenty. Just do it a little at a time until you're real comfortable. You'll find if you're on the crest of a steep hill just having that ground fall away fast can make you uncomfortable. As I've said before, I've been doing this climbing stand bit since the days of the first Baker treestand with no climbing aids. I still get spooked a little at times in certain situations and have climbed lower or just down all together. Think safety and be comfortable with whatever height you're at. Age to hunt is a non issue to me. I have hunted alone since I was 8 and ran my own trap line starting at 12 in some rough country. I didn't start bowhunting until I returned from my second tour in Vietnam at age 27.
Old 12-28-2006, 03:12 PM

ORIGINAL: JFergus7

Whan using a tree stand how high should you be? I am hunting right now for the first time ever in a tree stand. I am about 15 feet up and a bit nervous to go any higher. I am not the biggest fan of heights so am I just wasting my time now?

Thanks
I certainly hope you are wearing a harness.

Enjoy yourself and let us know if you have any luck, next time take a cam and givethe rest of usat work something to watch while we await the end of the work day.

i bowhunted for 4 years before i took my first deer, its not all about the kill. enjoy all of it.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:09 PM

It depends on the tree and how educated the deer are as well as your comfort level. I typically go 12-20 feet up, although I've had stands as low as 10 feet. I'd say if the tree has cover you can go as low as 10 feet and still be fine.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:12 PM

Oh yes! Wear a harness!!! It could save your life!!! I'm rather lazy though and don't wear one if I'm not far up. That doesn't mean I shouldn't though.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm glad the harness thing got mentioned. I forgot to do it in my earlier post.
The S.O.P (Seat of the Pants) system is a great 4-point harness.
I highly recommend them, but wear something, even if you're just up a little ways. Heck you can break you neck falling over while walkingon the ground if you do it right. Stay away from the chest straps. They can break ribs and don't keep your weight on your legs like a 4-point does.

For anybody reading this who uses a hang-on stand, the SOP is really slick because the harness'slife-line (that attaches you to the tree) doubles as a positioning system to keep your hands free while setting your sticks, ladder, and stand. I wouldn't set up a hang-on without a similar system.

Also, I know one gal in Florida who does almost all of her hunting from about 8 feet up. She does pretty darned well too.
Old 12-28-2006, 05:12 PM

Last year I sat in a 8 ft. stand and two small bucks walked right passed me and didnt even know i was there.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

All the suggestions were great! I spent the entire day in the tree and didn't see a single deer. The ride home was great though. Must have seen 100 or more. Even pulled over and watched (2)8pts, (4)6pts, and (2)spikes about 20' from my car for about 5 minutes. They didn't seem to care that I was so close in a running car. I will definetly take a camera next time! Hopefully with better results. But definetly more comfortable up in the tree!

Thanks again!

Quick Reply: How high?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.