Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

trukey with a bow

Old 12-27-2006, 07:59 PM

Default RE: trukey with a bow

Monster mechanicals and a double bull blind.
Old 12-28-2006, 05:43 AM
Dominant Buck

I'll be using mechanicals and bowing DOWN from 71#'s to 64 or so. There's plenty of anatomy charts RE: turkeys to point you in the right direction. I think the mathews site has one as a sticky.

Jeff
Old 12-28-2006, 06:18 AM

The Mathews Link is:

http://forums.mathewsinc.com/viewtopic.php?t=34266

I use mechanicals too for the same reasons already mentioned. I also use a pop-up blind because it's difficult to get drawn especially if there are multiple birds. It's nice to have a triangular chair with three legs - easier to get into shoot position. It's also nice to have a bow holder that sticks into the ground.

I've also spot-n-stalked turkeys - not easy, but doable. Try to manouver ahead of them and catch them coming by. Again, not easy, but loads of fun.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm out on the gobbler guillotines, I think it can be disrespectful to deface any animal.
Thwe guillotines are very effective and kill very quickly! What's the difference between using them and a shotgun with 3" mags. at 20 yards, NOT MUCH! We're killing the animal, the quicker the better! The down side to the guillotines is that they aren't much good past about 20 or 25 yards and they are noisy when they fly.
A blind is great because you can sit with a buddy and get away with some movement. I range finder is also important because the vitals are small! I prefer mech. heads also, you need all the cut you can get!
Old 12-28-2006, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

get the tips that are like wire. and use a ground blound or make one i would suggest. good calls. and the rest is mainly for you to do
Old 12-28-2006, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

i hunt turk's with a bow and would suggest good camo head to toe.....a small ground blind..not a full blind but the one that is like a little fence.....broadheads don't really matter in my opinion....they will all work...aim at wing or above the leg to avoid loosing breast meat and you should be fine
Old 12-28-2006, 12:58 PM
Dominant Buck

YUP, get yourself a big cutting diameter mechanical or use some sort of turkey stopper. The mechanical gives you more room for error on a bird that doesn't ever seem to want to stand still.[&:] I got one of those collapsable bow blinds that screws in in place of your stabilizer. Mine is like this. It weighs the same as my stabilizer. Mine is green leafy.
http://www.triplecrownoutdoor.com/bowhunting.html

Old 12-28-2006, 01:29 PM

how can u practice with one of those gobbler guillotines? can u shoot it at a broadhead target or what?
Old 12-28-2006, 01:40 PM
Dominant Buck

Can't tell ya unc. I think I saw the first one I've ever seen on Saturday. If I'm not mistaken.....it was $45????? Also....I hear ya have to shoot longer arrows than normal.

I'd wonder how you could POSSIBLY sight that thing in!!!.....lol

Jeff

Anyone know????
Old 12-28-2006, 02:53 PM

yea i was wondering the exact same thing GMMAT

Quick Reply: trukey with a bow

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.