Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
21.88%
No
78.13%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Time to raise score to qualify for P&Y?

Old 12-27-2006, 09:45 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Time to raise score to qualify for P&Y?

Motown:

I wish we'd go to a one buck state......but our numbers are VERY healthy, right now (I think in the 1.3M range). I've said it before.....I'm lucky to have a large herd where I live.....but the heer numbers here work AGAINST me having a chance at a P&Y buck. The deer in the herd I hunt (Notice I didn't say "my" deer....lol) have to travel great distances late in the year for food.....and they are in constant competition for said food.

Having a lot of deer is a blessing and a curse. I'm working on a spot for next year that will allow me to bring in a friend or two to thin the doe pop. down in MY area. I can honestly see a P&Y buck in my hunting area in the next 3-4 years.

Of course......harvesting that deer is a different story.

Jeff
Old 12-27-2006, 09:47 AM
Fork Horn

So if I shoot a deer that nets 125" and pay $25 to get into the club I'm buying my way in?? I'd say I'm earning my way in and paying the $25 to support a club that well represents our sport. Atlas...don't get ornery because you don't have a 125" buck.

Where we hunt a 125" isn't a "shooter." We are lucky. I don't think that is any reason to change a standard that was set many years back.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:04 AM

ORIGINAL: cmscat50

So if I shoot a deer that nets 125" and pay $25 to get into the club I'm buying my way in??
Yes.

How many guys are in that book with deer they didn't shoot or with deer that were killed in a cage??

They couldn't care less...........all they want is your money. It's a business.

Old 12-27-2006, 10:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: atlasman

ORIGINAL: cmscat50

So if I shoot a deer that nets 125" and pay $25 to get into the club I'm buying my way in??
Yes.

How many guys are in that book with deer they didn't shoot or with deer that were killed in a cage??

They couldn't care less...........all they want is your money. It's a business.
Atlas read the rules, must be fair chase, no high fence. So your answers is 0

Old 12-27-2006, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been hunting for about 13 years, most of it in the UP of Michigan, one year here in IL. Although P&Y bucks are much more common here in IL, I failed to kill one this year. In MI, I have never even seen one, so I think it is just fine the way it is.

Also, what is the big deal about the $25?As far as I know, isn't there a fee for any club, such as NRA, NWTF, and pretty much ALL others? Are deer licenses nothing more than a who's who of hunters because we are dumb enough to buy one? It's a form of recognition and record keeping, nothing more, and yes, they do need money to keep the club going!
Old 12-27-2006, 10:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Personaly I see no need to change it. I'm not one to follow P&Y so I really don't care but the standards have been set a long time ago and should stay.
By the same theory you present for raising them what would you want to do if the herd was devastated by say CWD or something, lower them back down for a couple years. No it should just stay the same and all is covered.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:17 AM
Banned

No need to raise it. Bowhunting for a mature whitetail is hard no matter where you live.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

It's simple. It a club, The Pope and Young Club. Books take money, salaries take money, I don't think they have a bunch of volunteers sitting around doing nothing waiting on someone to kill a qualifying animal. Take it for what it is and if you don't like it, don't enter and belong but quit belly aching that someone else wants to. No different than anti's and hunters, both whine about the other and want to push their opinions onto them which never works.

Good thing I bought my way into the NWTF, NRA, UBP etc..etc...To say someone bought their way into the P&Y Club is absurd, first you have to have the animal, you earned a position in the club and their is simply an entrance fee to secure the future of the club. That seems simple and sensible.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

The club takes money to run. The 25 dollar fee covers those expenses, even typical 3 dementional thinking could comprehend this. The P&Y scorer measures your Buck for free and gives you copies of the work sheet he scored it on. You can keep it or send it in with the $25 and the record will be posted. It's actually inexpensive and a fair price. Atlas, come on man. Don't just argue for the sake of it.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:26 AM

ORIGINAL: Germ

Atlas read the rules, must be fair chase, no high fence. So your answers is 0
You can't be that gullable.

All you have to do is fill out an affidavit.......you think anyone is gonna investigate some isolated 140 class buck entered by some clown in bumfart egypt Idaho??.........pay your $25 and you're in.......even if you shot him in your living room.

If you were pushing for the #1 slot then the scrutiny would be there.............but for some guy putting in yet another that lands in the fat part of the curve you aren't gonna raise any flags. That book is full of false entries. (and that's no insult to the book........just human nature).

Quick Reply: Time to raise score to qualify for P&Y?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.