Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
21.88%
No
78.13%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Time to raise score to qualify for P&Y?

Old 12-27-2006, 05:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Time to raise score to qualify for P&Y?

ORIGINAL: atlasman

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

ORIGINAL: *JB*

So how many people have ever joined the club just to support conservation, and not have their name putin the book?

BTW I don't know where the money goes, nor do I care. They could take it to the local strip club for all I care.

That rules!!!!
You would like cartoon strippers,
Old 12-27-2006, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I been hunting 34years and the closest I came to a P@Y is a 118" 10 point. I seen my share of 125plus buck but it just wasen't ment to be. I say keep it were it is. It not that easy if you ask me. if I ever do shot a P@Y buck it will be entered in the books with my $25 or whatever price it is. I can't wait to enter a P@Y buck in the book. Maybe some day with the help of God!

Hatchet Jack
Old 12-27-2006, 07:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Heck no they dont need to change it, its chalenging enough to down a 125" er. We got em in my area, and i have been lucky enough to kill several big ones but unfortunantly its always with a gun, got a 159" er last season and entered him in the hoosier book.I have had opertunity on some p&y's with my bow and failed to get er done for various reasonsbut have killed plenty of lesser bucks with a bow.
Dan
Old 12-27-2006, 07:57 PM

ORIGINAL: HuntinGUS

For those of you that enter your deer into"the book" Why do you do it, and what is the benefit?

WOW!! I left to go hunting and come back to see this. HILARIOUS!!!!

GUS, to answer your question. I do it so that one day I can open the book and show you how many more big bucks I have killed than the rest of you. Its easier to carry a book than a wole bunch of pictures.[8D]

To answer the original question, leave it. Or else some of the Southern boys won't get to see their name in it.[8D]
Old 12-27-2006, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow this sure took off!!! No I don't think the minimum needs to be raised. I hunt in Illinois and Missouri and I don't kill a P&Y every year. They are not behind every bush as many think.I have been lucky enough to kill 2 P&Y deer. And yes I did enter them and I did buy the book too. I enjoy looking thru it from time to time (and not just at my name). But it is neat to see my name on the same pages as Chuck Adams or Myles Keller and Randy Ulmer.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

To me entering a deer in the book was the final step in a long quest. My goal was a 150 inch or better buck. When I made it I entered it. I have never seen my name in the book and I don't know any one that has seen my name in the book. I would like to get a copy of the book sometime to just look through it but not because my name is in it.

The guys that are always putting down scores or "the book" seem to think they hunt for the pure reasons. "Other hunters just don't get it."

I don't tell anyone else how or why they should hunt because we all have different reasons. It doesn't make one better than the other , just different.

If you don't like the book or scoring then you can keep it to yourself and go to your grave feeling good about yourself. If you feel you must put it down to everyone then you are simply doing it to try and show your superiority over someone else. And that's all I have to say about that.....

Old 12-27-2006, 09:20 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: Kybuckhunter

To me entering a deer in the book was the final step in a long quest. My goal was a 150 inch or better buck. When I made it I entered it. I have never seen my name in the book and I don't know any one that has seen my name in the book. I would like to get a copy of the book sometime to just look through it but not because my name is in it.
What's your name, I'll look!
Old 12-27-2006, 09:28 PM

I hope I didn't come across like I was totally against someone having their name in the book. Hell I don't care what anybody does. I was just saying it doesn't make the kill any better simply because you made "the book." If I was ever fortunate enough to kill a "book" deer I might consider having my name put in there. That way other people will know just how good of a hunter I am.

So do you have to take your deer somewhere to have it officially scored, or will they come to you? How long is the process? How often do they print the books?
Old 12-27-2006, 09:59 PM

ORIGINAL: *JB*

If I was ever fortunate enough to kill a "book" deer I might consider having my name put in there. That way other people will know just how good of a hunter I am.
You crack me up man
Old 12-27-2006, 10:12 PM
Site Bouncer

That sounds more deceitful then anything mentioned so far. So you are saying that their claims of $100,000 in grants may only be $1,000??
No,if they said they spent $100,000.00(or whatever)on grants last year I'm sure they did. What we (general public) don't know though is how much money was generated from entry fees compared to how much was spent on grants and the like. The point I was making is as long as they arespending money on grants thenthey can say that even the entry fee is part of that too. Like I said money flows into a company from many differend sources (depending on the company of course) so to try and single out one source and say none of that is spent on grants or any other conservation project just isn't possible.

I have not seen any evidence that this is true.
Well, it's how abuisness works, or most of them. While I don't claim to know how the P&Y club runs theirs, I know how I run mine and that's to say that all money no matter how it's earned goes into a general fund to be allocated as needed to run my company. I think because it's the norm I would like to see evidence to the contrary. It make no sense to have separate accounts for separate earnings, not only is it not needed because you already know where the money is comming from it makes for an accounting departments nightmare. They would have to balance and maintain separate ledgers for all the separate types of income generated. I have never heard of that not under one company name at least. I might be wrong but I don't think the P&Y club is that big that they have totally separate and independant departments.

I guess I don't see how giving someone money just to cover cost is "supporting" them.........I mean, if people stopped giving the entry money then P+Y would not go under..........just the book.......right?
I don't believe for one second that the entry fees paid only cover the cost to enter them. No, you know as well as I they are making money as any business should do. I don't think the NRA takes my money and spends every dime to lobby in Washington and pay for the monthly mags as they like you to believe they do, yet I still give to them. Why, because even if only one dime for every dollargoes to help keep my right as the 2nd amendment was intended and conceived to do I will keep paying.

The P&Y clubdoes give money for grants, and otherconservation causes it only makes good business sense to do so, afterall it's bow hunters who are paying to have their deer entered. If they (P&Y club) didn't then pretty soon hunters would wise up and that would be the end of the P&Y club.

So when it's all said and done, are people paying to have their name entered in a book? Sure......But they get the satisfaction of having their name listed with others who have achieved similar huntinggoals and at the same time helped their sport grow and stay strong, no matter how great or slight their actual monetarycontribution might be.

Quick Reply: Time to raise score to qualify for P&Y?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.